Application for an authorization to practice in accordance with Section 7b of the Crafts Code (HWO)
If you would like to practice a certain craft that is subject to approval without the corresponding master craftsman title, you can obtain an authorization to practice under certain conditions. This means that you fulfill the registration requirements for a craft subject to licensing in the register of skilled crafts.
Note: With an authorization to practice, you may not hold a master craftsman title and may not train in the craft in question.
The following crafts subject to licensing are exempt from these regulations:
- Chimney sweeping trade
- Optician trade
- Hearing aid acoustician trade
- Orthopedic technician craft
- Orthopedic shoemaker trade
- Dental technician trade
Single Point of Contact
For this procedure, you can use the service of the Single Point of Contact (Einheitlicher Ansprechpartner). They will guide you through the administrative procedure, take care of correspondence with all the offices responsible for your request and will be available to you as a competent advisor.
Local Chamber of Crafts (HWK)
- Warum soll ich einen Ort angeben?
- Mit Hilfe der Ortsangabe können wir die für Sie passenden Informationen, Formulare, Dienste und Ihre zuständige Stelle anzeigen.
- Welchen Ort soll ich angeben?
- Zum Beispiel Ihren Wohnort, wenn Sie einen Reisepass beantragen wollen oder den Unternehmensstandort, wenn Sie ein Gewerbe anmelden möchten.
- Einheitlichen Ansprechpartner beauftragen
Formular: –> Einheitlicher Ansprechpartner, Beauftragung – Antrag
A license to practice a craft subject to licensing is granted to anyone who
- has passed a journeyman's examination either in the relevant craft, in a related craft or a final examination in a recognized training occupation corresponding to the craft to be practiced,
- has practiced this trade for at least 6 years
- of which a total of at least 4 years in a managerial position in the craft applied for,
- and demonstrates the required business, commercial and legal knowledge.
Evidence may be provided by your employment references, job descriptions, or other means. The documents should show both proof of the journeyman and managerial positions held and the prescribed duration of these positions of six and four years respectively.
A managerial position is assumed if, as a journeyman, you have been given independent decision-making authority in a company or in significant parts of a company.
The required knowledge in the fields of business administration, commerce and law can either be derived from your previous work experience or can be proven by your participation in training courses.
Note: The trades subject to licensing are listed in Annex A to the Crafts Code.
In the first step, take advantage of the advisory services offered by your chamber of crafts ("competent body").
- You can obtain the necessary forms and leaflets online here via Amt24 or directly via the portal of your Chamber of Skilled Crafts.
- Fill out the application and submit it to the Chamber of Skilled Crafts with the required documents and evidence.
- After the Chamber of Skilled Crafts has examined the application, you will receive written notification as to whether and to what extent the authorization to practice is granted.
- You will be entered in the register of skilled crafts.
The Chamber of Skilled Crafts can also grant the right to practice subject to conditions or for a limited period of time or restrict it to a significant part of the activities that belong to one of the crafts listed in Annex A.
Tip: Contact your Chamber of Skilled Crafts at an early stage to find out about the procedure and the documents that are required in your specific case ("Required documents").
Handwerkskammern im Freistaat Sachsen. 23.12.2020