Application for a driving instructor permit with recognition of a foreign professional qualification
The profession of driving instructor is regulated in Germany. In order to be allowed to work in this profession, you need a driving instructor permit. You may only train people to drive vehicles if you hold this permit. You can obtain a driving instructor permit with a foreign professional qualification by getting your foreign professional qualification recognized.
In the course of the recognition procedure, the responsible office compares your foreign professional qualification with the corresponding German professional qualification and checks the equivalence. The equivalence of the professional qualification is an important prerequisite for the issuance of the driving instructor permit. In addition to the equivalence of the professional qualification, you must meet other requirements for the issuance of the driving instructor permit.
Your nationality or the country in which you acquired your professional qualification is of no concern. You can also submit the application from abroad.
Temporary, occasional activity
You can also work in this profession temporarily and occasionally as a freelancer in Germany. In that case, a corresponding endorsement will be entered in your driving instructor permit. However, special requirements apply: You have to register with the responsible office before you take up work. The responsible office will inform you in detail about the procedure.
Single Point of Contact
For this procedure, you can use the service of the Single Point of Contact (Einheitlicher Ansprechpartner). They will guide you through the administrative procedure, take care of correspondence with all the offices responsible for your request and will be available to you as a competent advisor.
State Office for Road Construction and Transport, Referat 43
- Warum soll ich einen Ort angeben?
- Mit Hilfe der Ortsangabe können wir die für Sie passenden Informationen, Formulare, Dienste und Ihre zuständige Stelle anzeigen.
- Welchen Ort soll ich angeben?
- Zum Beispiel Ihren Wohnort, wenn Sie einen Reisepass beantragen wollen oder den Unternehmensstandort, wenn Sie ein Gewerbe anmelden möchten.
- Portal "Recognition in Germany"
Information Portal of the Federal Government
- Recognition in Saxony
IQ Network Saxony
- Interpreter and translator database
State Justice Administrations
- Traffic law - information, forms, announcements
State Office for Road Construction and Transport
- Assign a Single Point of Contact
- You hold a foreign professional qualification as a driving instructor
- You are at least 21 years old
- You are mentally and physically suitable
- You are professionally and pedagogically suitable
- You have a valid driving license
- You have not violated the requirements for driving instructors
- You have the necessary German language skills to teach driving students
- You want to work in the profession in Germany
- Proof of identity (identity card or passport)
- certified copy of your proof of qualification to work as a driving instructor
- valid driver's license for the relevant driving classes
- If work as a driving instructor is not regulated in your country of origin: a certificate stating that you have worked as a driving instructor for at least 2 years in the last 10 years
- Proof of your personal reliability. This proof must have been issued by an authority in the state in which you obtained your professional qualification. This can be police clearance certificate or a Certificate of Good Standing. At the time of application, this certificate should be no older than 3 months
- Proof of your mental and physical health issued by an authority in the state in which you obtained your professional qualification. You have to provide proof that you are personally suitable to work as a driving instructor. At the time of application, this proof should be no older than 3 months
It is conceivable that your country of origin cannot or will not issue the proof of your personal reliability or mental and physical health. In this case, you can replace these documents with an affirmation in lieu of an oath. The responsible office will inform you about this.
The responsible office will inform you, which original or copied documents have to be submitted. If your documents are not in German, German translations will be required for your application.
Attention! The translator must be publicly appointed and sworn.
- Application deadline: none
- Free of charge for entitled persons according to the Bundesvertriebenengesetz (Federal Expellees Act): 3 years from the date of taking up permanent residence in the Federal Republic of Germany
- Appeal/legal action: within 1 month after notification of the decision.
- (For details see the instructions on appealing the decision)
Electronic signature - how can I sign electronically?
A qualified electronic signature is required to fulfill the signature requirement when submitting applications electronically. This is the only way to ensure that the identity of the sender can be safely established.
Your application and the necessary declarations require your handwritten signature. According to German law, your application form must include a qualified electronic signature to be considered signed. You will need suitable software for this. Electronic signatures can be purchased from:
- Trusted service providers (according to the directory of the Federal Network Agency) or
- the German Federal Printing Office (Bundesdruckerei), for citizens with a new identity card/nPA or electronic residence permit.
- Sächsisches Gesetz über die Feststellung der Gleichwertigkeit von Berufsqualifikationen (Sächsisches Berufsqualifikationsfeststellungsgesetz – SächsBQFG)
- § 1 ff. Gesetz über das Fahrlehrerwesen (Fahrlehrergesetz – FahrlG) – Fahrlehrerlaubnis
- § 1 ff. Durchführungsverordnung zum Fahrlehrergesetz (FahrlGDV) – Anforderungen an Fahrlehrer und Fahrschulen
- Verwaltungskostengesetz des Freistaates Sachsen
- Sächsisches Kostenverzeichnis
- Nr. 302.2 Anlage zur Gebührenordnung für Maßnahmen im Straßenverkehr
- § 10 Abs. 1 f. Gesetz über die Angelegenheiten der Vertriebenen und Flüchtlinge (Bundesvertriebenengesetzes – BVFG)
Saxon State Chancellery, Editorial Office Amt24 23.03.2021