In the event of illness, as an employee you will generally continue to be paid your salary for six weeks (in accordance with labor law regulations). After this period, if you are still unable to work and/or you are treated as an inpatient in a hospital or, for example, in a rehabilitation facility, you may be entitled to sickness benefit (according to the tariff you have chosen).
However, sickness benefit amounts to a maximum of 90 percent of your net pay, usually considerably less. To protect yourself against severe financial losses if you are unable to work for a longer period of time, you can take out private daily sickness allowance insurance, which then also pays daily sickness allowance during a contractually agreed period of illness.
Point of contact
- Your private health insurance provider
- Warum soll ich einen Ort angeben?
- Mit Hilfe der Ortsangabe können wir die für Sie passenden Informationen, Formulare, Dienste und Ihre zuständige Stelle anzeigen.
- Welchen Ort soll ich angeben?
- Zum Beispiel Ihren Wohnort, wenn Sie einen Reisepass beantragen wollen oder den Unternehmensstandort, wenn Sie ein Gewerbe anmelden möchten.
- Contact the private insurance provider of your choice and ask for advice on the options for daily sickness allowance insurance. You can find out in advance about offers from various insurance providers on the Internet and compare them.
- The duration of daily sickness allowance payments and the daily amount paid depend on the contract you made with your private health insurance provider. As a rule, different forms of insurance are offered with different premiums and benefits. Often, your compulsory insurance provider can name a cooperation partner.
Saxon State Ministry for Social Affairs and Social Cohesion. 17.06.2020