Birth register, re-registration of a birth abroad in the German birth register (place of residence in Germany)
If you or a close relative were born abroad, you can request retrospective certification of the birth in the German birth register (previously the German "Geburtenbuch") from the registry office in Germany.
Re-registration is not mandatory – duly issued birth certificates from abroad are recognised in Germany. The retrospective entry into the German birth register can, however, be an advantage because the local registry office can then issue you with a German birth certificate, rendering any translations or certifications of the foreign document unnecessary.
For details on the methods and documents required from you by the registry office, contact the office by telephone beforehand.
- Collate the necessary documents and visit the registry office.
- The registrar will check whether the entry can be made by a German registry office.
- If the requirements have been met, the entry can be made into the German birth register.
If necessary, the registry office will issue you with a birth certificate once the register entry has been made.
- Foreign birth certificate with translation; legalisation / apostille if applicable
- Valid ID, passport or travel document
- Birth certificates of the parents of the person to whom the entry relates
- If applicable: certificate of naturalisation / citizenship
Other documents may also have to be provided – ask the registry office about this in advance.
- Entry into the birth register: EUR 60.00
- Birth certificate / Certified extract from the birth register: EUR 10.00 (for simultaneous orders of extra copies: EUR 5.00 each)
You may incur further costs or fees as a result of other services, such as apostilles or translations.
- § 36 Personenstandsgesetz (PStG) – Births and Deaths Abroad
- § 3 Verordnung des Sächsischen Staatsministeriums des Innern zur Ausführung personenstandsrechtlicher und familienrechtlicher Vorschriften (SächsPStVO) in conjunction with the appendix to § 3 – Fees