Changing vehicle documentation (change of licensing area)

A new licence number must be requested immediately after a move (change in primary place of residence) or business relocation to another licensing area. The change must be entered in the registration certificate Part II (vehicle title), and a new registration certificate Part I (vehicle registration) requested.

The same applies if you have purchased a vehicle previously licensed in another licensing area – you must have it immediately transferred over to you in your licensing district.

  • As of 2010-09-01, vehicle owners can request not to have new licence numbers assigned to a licensed vehicle if they move to a different licensing area within the Free State of Saxony. This rule only applies insofar as there has been no change of ownership, and does not apply for expiring licence numbers (see Appendix 1 Number 2 to § 8 Paragraph 1 Clause 3 of the Vehicle Licensing Ordinance). As the vehicle owner, you must request a new registration certificate Part I (vehicle registration) from the local licensing authority at your new place of residence in order to meet the duty of information regarding change of address.
  • The old vehicle documentation has been replaced with new registration certificates since 2005-10-01
  • Jurisdiction is governed by the vehicle owner’s place of residence, based on the primary place of residence stated on his / her ID. A vehicle can no longer be registered under a secondary residence. For legal entities, this is the head office or branch office.

Onlineantrag und Formulare

Hinweis: Sobald Sie eine Postleitzahl oder einen Ort angegeben haben, können wir Ihnen an dieser Stelle den Onlineantrag und die Formulare der zuständigen Stelle anzeigen. Ort angeben

Zuständige Stelle

Kfz-Zulassungsbehörde (vehicle registration authority) of your municipality or district office

Hinweis: Sobald Sie eine Postleitzahl oder einen Ort angegeben haben, können wir Ihnen an dieser Stelle weitere Informationen zu der für Sie zuständigen Stelle anzeigen. Ort angeben
Warum soll ich einen Ort angeben?
Mit Hilfe der Ortsangabe können wir die für Sie passenden Informationen, Formulare, Dienste und Ihre zuständige Stelle anzeigen.
Welchen Ort soll ich angeben?
Zum Beispiel Ihren Wohnort, wenn Sie einen Reisepass beantragen wollen oder den Unternehmensstandort, wenn Sie ein Gewerbe anmelden möchten.

Service details


Before you amend your vehicle documentation in the event of relocation, you must have registered with your new municipality.



Die Umschreibung Ihres Fahrzeugs müssen Sie als Halter bei der zuständigen Zulassungsbehörde beantragen. Sie können auch einen Vertreter (zum Beispiel Ihren Autohändler) mit einer schriftlichen Vollmacht beauftragen. Wichtig ist dabei, dass die Vollmacht Ihr Einverständnis zur Bekanntgabe der kraftfahrzeugsteuerrelevanten Daten an den Bevollmächtigten beinhaltet.


Wenn Sie ein Wunschkennzeichen möchten, kann die Reservierung je nach Angebot der Zulassungsbehörde schon vor der Umschreibung persönlich, schriftlich, telefonisch oder online erfolgen.

Abstemplung der Kennzeichen

Steht einer Umschreibung nichts im Wege, werden die Kennzeichen abgestempelt, das heißt, mit Plaketten für die Hauptuntersuchung und den Zulassungsbereich versehen.


As owner, you are responsible for requesting amendment of your vehicle’s documentation from the relevant licensing authority. You can also issue a representative (e.g. your car dealer) with a written power of attorney. It is important here that the power of attorney contains your consent to advising the authorised representative of the vehicle tax-related data.

Preferred licence number

If you have a preferred licence number, you can reserve this before the amendment in person, in writing, by telephone or online, depending on the licensing authority’s facilities

Validation of the licence number

Once the documents have been cleared for transfer, the licence plates are labelled, i.e. given stickers for the general inspection and licensing area.

Required documents

  • Valid ID card or passport with current certificate of registration
  • Registration certificate Part I or vehicle registration document
  • Registration certificate Part II or vehicle title document
  • Valid report from the last general inspection and exhaust emissions test
  • Previous licence numbers (except if defunct)
  • If the vehicle was taken off the road or deregistered before 2005-10-01: the de-registration certificate is also needed
  • Insurance certificate
  • If applicable, confirmation of reservation for the preferred licence number
  • Declaration of participation in the SEPA direct debiting scheme for vehicle tax
  • If being represented, the following are also required:
    • The authorised representative’s ID card or passport with latest certificate of registration
    • Written power of attorney (for approval and publication of any existing vehicle tax debts)
  • For companies:
    • Natural person: business registration
    • Legal entities: business registration and commercial register extract
    • Company under civil law (GbR): articles of association and power of attorney for authorised signatures as per the contract
  • For minors the following are also required:
    • Written power of attorney of the legal guardian, as well as their ID card
Note: As you will be receiving high-quality, forgery-proof registration certificates, provide the registration authority with the originals or certified copies of your personal or business documents. Simple copies are generally inadequate.

Insurance certificate

You can obtain the insurance certificate for the third-party liability insurance from the insurance company of your choice. In most cases, you can request the insurance certificate by telephone from your insurance company.

It comprises a completed paper template (formerly called: "Doppelkarte" (provisional insurance card)) or a seven-digit string (so-called electronic insurance confirmation, "eVB"), which allows the insurance data from the insurance company to be retrieved, assessed and recorded in the vehicle register by the registration authority.

Licence number plates

You can have the necessary number plates made during the documentation transfer process. To do this, contact the private providers which are normally located near the registration authorities. The costs for the number plates are not included in the fees.


  • With new, harmonised vehicle documentation:
    • EUR 26.80 if no change of ownership
    • EUR 28.90 if change of ownership
  • With old vehicle documentation:
    • EUR 35.00
  • For a preferred licence number: an extra
    • EUR 2.60 for an advance reservation (if applicable)
    • EUR 10.20 for assigning the preferred licence number
  • If it is not possible to retrieve the vehicle data from the Federal Office for Motor Vehicles and it is not available in the local vehicle register: an extra EUR 15.30
  • If adhesive seals are used: an extra EUR 0.30 per unit
  • If the vehicle title document is lodged with the registration authority by the bank: an additional charge of up to EUR 20.40
  • If a technical change is made at the same time: an extra EUR 10.20

Legal basis

Release note

Based on the German version authorized by Sächsisches Staatsministerium für Wirtschaft, Arbeit und Verkehr