Consulting engineers (abroad), reporting temporary and occasional activity at the Chamber of Engineers of Saxony
Temporary and occasional provision of services without registration in the list according to § 40 and 41 Saxon Engineering Act (SächsIngG).
You have neither a domicile nor a branch office in the Free State of Saxony and do not practice your profession predominantly here? Under certain conditions, you can also use the professional title "Consulting Engineer" without being registered in the corresponding list at the Chamber of Engineers of Saxony.
Before you provide services in the Free State of Saxony for the first time as a foreign consulting engineer, you must notify the Saxony Chamber of Engineers.
Note: A notification is not required if you have already notified the Chamber of Architects of another federal state of the provision of your services.
Professional title from the country of origin
If you are established within the EU or a state equivalent to these states, you can temporarily and occasionally provide services as a consulting engineer under the professional title that you use in the state of your establishment. Please note, however, that there must be no confusion with the professional title "Beratender Ingenieur / Beratende Ingenieurin"; this is protected under the Saxon Engineering Act.
Professional duties apply, but you do not belong to the Saxon Chamber of Engineers as a compulsory member.
Acting under the protected professional title
You cannot or do not want to use the professional title of an EU member state or a state equivalent to these states for the temporary and occasional activity (e.g. because there is no corresponding professional title or you are not established within these states)? In this case, the Saxony Chamber of Engineers must check whether your professional qualification is equivalent to the requirements here before you start working. You are then allowed to use the above mentioned protected professional title "Beratender Ingenieur / Beratende Ingenieurin".
Hints:If you have an academic title (for example, Dipl.-Ing, Bachelor, Master, etc.), you are entitled to use this title regardless of whether you use the above-mentioned professional title.
- In the case of an academic title based on a foreign educational designation, you use the title in the language of the member state of origin with the addition of the name and location of the educational institution or examination board that awarded the educational designation.
Single Point of Contact
For this procedure, you can use the service of the Single Point of Contact (Einheitlicher Ansprechpartner). They will guide you through the administrative procedure, take care of correspondence with all the offices responsible for your request and will be available to you as a competent advisor.
- Einheitlicher Ansprechpartner [Landesdirektion Sachsen] Home addressBraustraße 2
04107 LeipzigPostal code09105 ChemnitzPhone+49 341 977-1080 / -1081Fax+49 341 977-1199
- Ingenieurkammer Sachsen Home addressAnnenstraße 10
01067 DresdenPhone+49 351 43833-60Fax+49 351 43833-80
- Warum soll ich einen Ort angeben?
- Mit Hilfe der Ortsangabe können wir die für Sie passenden Informationen, Formulare, Dienste und Ihre zuständige Stelle anzeigen.
- Welchen Ort soll ich angeben?
- Zum Beispiel Ihren Wohnort, wenn Sie einen Reisepass beantragen wollen oder den Unternehmensstandort, wenn Sie ein Gewerbe anmelden möchten.
- neither residence nor establishment or exercise of profession in the Free State of Saxony
- exclusively temporary and occasional exercise of profession in the Free State of Saxony
- authorization to use this or a comparable professional title due to a regulation of your home member state or
- practicing this profession in your member state of origin or
- equivalent professional training/professional qualification
The notification must be made in writing. State that you intend to provide the service for the first time; enclose the required documents with your letter (or use the application form of the Saxony Chamber of Engineers).
- The Saxony Chamber of Engineers will confirm receipt of the documents and, if necessary, inform you whether and, if so, which documents are missing.
- If you meet the legal requirements, you will receive a certificate of registration in the appropriate register at the Saxony Chamber of Engineers.
- Immediately notify the Chamber of Engineers Saxony of any significant changes compared to the situation you have certified with the submitted documents!
- A notification is not necessary if you have already notified the Chamber of Engineers of another federal state about the provision of your services.
The documents are based on the respective recognition criteria.
In detail to be submitted are:
- Notification of the intention to provide services as a consulting engineer in the Free State of Saxony (informal letter or application form of the Saxony Chamber of Engineers) and
- Proof of identity (original or certified copy)
- Proof of the existence of sufficient liability insurance (single copy)
as well as
for certificates of education from non-EU member states or equivalent states:
- Proof of education (original or certified copy)
- Proof of at least 2 years of professional activity in the relevant professional tasks (in any form)
in the case of applicants who are established in an EU member state or equivalent state:
in which this profession or training is regulated:
- Certificate of establishment in these states (any copy).
- Certificate of education (original or certified copy)
- Indication of the professional title of the country of establishment
in which this profession or training is not regulated:
- Certificate of establishment in these states (in any form).
- Certificate of education/proof of professional qualification (original or certified copy)
- Certificate in any form that you have practiced this profession for one year during the previous 10 years (in any form).
- You must add a translation in German to certificates of education and professional experience that are not written in German. Only publicly appointed or sworn interpreters or translators are authorized to translate.
- In individual cases, the competent body may require further documents or translations in German
- Notification: prior to commencement of first activity in Saxony
- Confirmation of receipt: within 1 month after receipt of application
- Validity of the certificate: 1 year (renewal on request annually by one year)
Note: You can start your service activity immediately after the notification. If the equivalence of your professional qualification has to be determined first, you may only start working after you have received the confirmation of the Chamber of Engineers.
Electronic signature / Signature
Who can use the electronic signature?
Anyone who has documents that have been issued or recognized in the Federal Republic of Germany or by an EU member state or a state equivalent to it.
How can I sign electronically?
A qualified electronic signature is required in order to fulfill the signature requirement for electronic applications. This is the only way to ensure that the sender's identity can be reliably established. Your application and the necessary declarations require your handwritten signature. According to German law, your application form must have a qualified electronic signature in order to be considered signed. You will need an appropriate program for this. You can obtain electronic signatures from:
- Trust service providers (according to the directory of the Federal Network Agency) or
- the Bundesdruckerei (for citizens with a new identity card/nPA or electronic residence permit).
When submitting electronically, it is sufficient to submit simple copies for the requiredevidence. In justified cases, the Saxony Chamber of Engineers is entitled to request certified copies.
- § 1 Abs. 2 Sächsisches Ingenieurgesetz (SächsIngG) – Berufsbezeichnung Beratender Ingenieur
- § 40 Sächsisches Ingenieurgesetz (SächsIngG) – Vorübergehende und gelegentliche Dienstleistungserbringungen, Führen der Berufsbezeichnung durch auswärtige Beratende Ingenieure ohne Listeneintragung
- § 41 Sächsisches Ingenieurgesetz (SächsIngG) – Anzeigeverfahren, Verzeichniseintragung, Berufspflichten
- Gebühren- und Auslagenordnung der Ingenieurkammer Sachsen
- Richtlinie 2013/55/EU des Europäischen Parlaments und des Rates vom 20.11.2013 über die Anerkennung von Berufsqualifikationen
Sächsisches Staatsministerium des Innern. 08.02.2019