Deregistration of a business

If you give up your business establishment, you have to deregister it. The same applies if you move your business to another municipality. You must then deregister in your old municipality of establishment and register in the new municipality, if you are going to continue to operate your business there.

Note: If you move the establishment of your business within the same municipality, you must re-register.

Cross-border provision of services

If you independently and temporarily provide commercial services from an establishment in another member state of the European Union or the European Economic Area (EEA) in Germany, a notification/permit is not required in the following cases:

  • Business as an auctioneer according to §§34b Abs. 1, 3, 4, 6 and 7 as well as 57 Abs. 3 GewO
  • Services as a real estate agent, property developer, building supervisor and residential property manager according to §34c Abs. 1 Satz 1 Nr. 1, 3 and 4 GewO
  • Trades requiring supervision according to §38 Abs. 1 and 2 GewO
  • Business in the travel industry according to §55 Abs. 2 and 3 GewO
  • Organization of a traveling camp according to §56a GewO

Who has to initiate deregistration?

  • In the case of an individual business: the owner
  • In the case of partnerships (e.g. OHG, BGB-Gesellschaft): the managing partners

In the case of corporations (e.g. GmbH, AG): the legal representative.

Single Point of Contact

For this procedure, you can use the service of the Single Point of Contact (Einheitlicher Ansprechpartner). They will guide you through the administrative procedure, take care of correspondence with all the offices responsible for your request and will be available to you as a competent advisor.

Onlineantrag und Formulare

Hinweis: Sobald Sie eine Postleitzahl oder einen Ort angegeben haben, können wir Ihnen an dieser Stelle den Onlineantrag und die Formulare der zuständigen Stelle anzeigen. Ort angeben

Zuständige Stelle

Keine zuständige Stelle vorhanden.

Hinweis: Sobald Sie eine Postleitzahl oder einen Ort angegeben haben, können wir Ihnen an dieser Stelle weitere Informationen zu der für Sie zuständigen Stelle anzeigen. Ort angeben
Warum soll ich einen Ort angeben?
Mit Hilfe der Ortsangabe können wir die für Sie passenden Informationen, Formulare, Dienste und Ihre zuständige Stelle anzeigen.
Welchen Ort soll ich angeben?
Zum Beispiel Ihren Wohnort, wenn Sie einen Reisepass beantragen wollen oder den Unternehmensstandort, wenn Sie ein Gewerbe anmelden möchten.

Service details


You can deregister your business in person, in writing or online.

You can obtain the obligatory form "Gewerbe-Abmeldung" (GewA 3, deregistration of a business) from the responsible office. Depending on the services of the office, you may also be able to access the form via Amt24 (see -> “Online application and forms”).

Personal deregistration

  • Fill out the form and present yourself with the required documents at the responsible office.
  • If all documents are complete and you pay the due fees right away, you will receive a receipt immediately.

Note: You can also fill in the form on site. If you have any questions, the responsible staff will be available to assist you.

Deregistration in writing

  • Fill out the form, sign it and send it with the required documents to the municipality.
  • If all documents are complete, you will receive the receipt and the fee notification by mail, usually within three days.
  • If applicable, you will receive the fee notification first and must provide proof of payment before you will be issued the receipt.

Online deregistration

  • If the form "Gewerbe-Abmeldung" (GewA 3) is submitted electronically, the signature field provided in box 30 is omitted.
  • The municipality will request documents and may use procedures to establish the identity of the person making the notification, such as PIN/TAN procedures, electronic proof of identity in accordance with §18 Personalausweisgesetz, De-Mail in accordance with §5 De-Mail-Gesetz, written assurance of identity or sending a copy of the identity card or passport.

Forwarding to other authorities

The responsible office may forward data about your deregistration to the following authorities:

  • Authorities of the customs administration
  • Federal Employment Agency
  • German statutory accident insurance
  • Tax office
  • Registry court
  • State authority for technical and social occupational safety
  • State Statistical Office
  • Chamber of Crafts (HWK)
  • Chamber of Industry and Commerce (IHK)
  • Foreigners' Registration Office
  • Saxon state enterprise for measurement and calibration
  • Environmental Agency

Deregistration ex officio

If it is clear that the business has been discontinued and has not been deregistered within a reasonable period of time, deregistration can be carried out ex officio. In this case, you will receive the certificate of deregistration and the fee notification by mail.

Required documents

As a rule, the following documents are required:

  • From the business owner or the person authorized to deregister: current identity card or passport with current confirmation of registration
  • If the deregistration is carried out by a managing partner or a legal representative: written power of attorney
  • If your business is registered in the Handelsregister, Genossenschaftsregister or Vereinsregister (commercial register, register of cooperatives or register of associations): copy of the excerpt from this register


Immediately at the time of the cessation of commercial activity or transfer of operations to another municipality.

Legal basis

Release note

Saxon State Ministry for Economy, Labor and Transport. 06.11.2020