When your child becomes school-age, you must register him or her at the elementary school the year before enrollment.
School registration marks the beginning of the school entrance phase, during which kindergarten children are specifically prepared for school. A medical examination (school entrance examination) is required with the registration for elementary school. This is carried out by a youth physician from the public health service. You will receive the appointment at the elementary school registration or directly from the public health service.
Elementary School District
Each public elementary school has a school district. All children who live in that district must attend that elementary school. Generally, the school district corresponds to the municipal area.
If there are several elementary schools in a municipality or city, the municipalities and cities may divide their territory into several school districts or leave the schools in a common school district so that there is a free choice of school.
You can find out which elementary school is designated for your place of residence from your municipal or city administration.
Under certain conditions, an exception to the school district is possible, so that another elementary school can also be attended.
In addition to public elementary schools, there are also numerous independent elementary schools (private schools). These do not have a fixed school district.
Elementary school in whose school district you live:
–> Schulen im Freistaat Sachsen (nach geografischer Lage)
Keine zuständige Stelle vorhanden.
- Warum soll ich einen Ort angeben?
- Mit Hilfe der Ortsangabe können wir die für Sie passenden Informationen, Formulare, Dienste und Ihre zuständige Stelle anzeigen.
- Welchen Ort soll ich angeben?
- Zum Beispiel Ihren Wohnort, wenn Sie einen Reisepass beantragen wollen oder den Unternehmensstandort, wenn Sie ein Gewerbe anmelden möchten.
- Your child must be of compulsory school age for the school year beginning on 01.08.. This is the case if he or she has his or her sixth birthday in the period from 01.07. of the previous year to 30.06. of the year of enrollment.
- Children who have reached their sixth birthday by September 30 of the year of enrollment are also considered to be of compulsory school age. They can also be enrolled.
The children are registered at the elementary school by their parents.
Note: This task must be performed jointly by both parents if they have joint custody. If one of the partners is unable to attend, a power of attorney and a copy of the absent parent's ID must be presented.
The registration process is organized by the schools themselves. More detailed information is usually provided with the announcement of the registration dates in May of the year before school enrollment.
- Presentation of the birth certificate or appropriate proof of the child's identity.
The following data are processed during registration:
- Surname and first name of the parents and the child
- Date and place of birth of the child
- Gender of the child
- Address of parents and child
- Telephone number, emergency address
- Nationality of the child (with the consent of the parents)
- Religious affiliation of the child
- Type and degree of disability and chronic illnesses, insofar as they are relevant for school attendance (with the parents' consent)
- whether a day care center will be attended in the year prior to school admission
- Declaration of custody; in the case of sole custody of one parent, this must be proven
- Declaration by the parents on the child's bilingualism or multilingualism, if the child's language of origin is not German or not exclusively German (with the parents' consent)
Registration dates are announced in different ways.
Some elementary schools send invitations to parents whose children live in their school district. In other communities and cities, dates are announced by public notice or in the newspaper. If in doubt, please contact the elementary school in person.
- § 26 Schulgesetz für den Freistaat Sachsen (SchulG) – Allgemeines zur Schulpflicht
- § 27 SchulG – Beginn der Schulpflicht
- § 31 SchulG – Verantwortung für die Erfüllung der Schulpflicht
- § 3 Verordnung des Sächsischen Staatsministeriums für Kultus über Grundschulen im Freistaat Sachsen (Schulordnung Grundschulen – SOGS) – Anmeldung
Saxon State Ministry of Education and Cultural Affairs. 17.07.2017