according to § 8 or § 9 Handwerksordnung (HwO).
You or your company manager have the knowledge and skills of a master craftsman, but have not passed a master craftsman examination? Then you may be able to obtain an entry in the register of skilled crafts.
The Saxon Chambers of Skilled Crafts (HWK) grant an exemption in special cases, if the applicants meet the requirements for running a craft business. For the purpose of examination, the chambers shall also take into account the professional experience and activities of the applicants.
An exceptional case exists if it would be an unreasonable burden for you to take the master craftsman examination at the time of application or afterwards.
Exception applies to citizens of all EU countries
Citizens from the states of the European Community and the European Economic Area, as well as Switzerland in general, can obtain an exceptional permit according to the EU/EEA Crafts Regulation if they meet the requirements according to the Regulation for the European Union (EU) and the European Economic Area (EEA).
Authorization by chambers of crafts
In Saxony, the competent chambers of skilled crafts (HWK) are responsible for granting exemption permits. The chambers can obtain an opinion from the guild or professional association responsible for the trade if the applicant expressly agrees. They must obtain an opinion if the applicant requests it.
Note: If the expert opinion does not provide sufficient proof of qualification, you will be given the opportunity to prove your knowledge and skills in an informal expert examination. You will bear the costs of the examination yourself.Conditions and restrictions possible
The Chamber of Skilled Crafts (HWK) can grant you the exemption permit subject to requirements, conditions or limited in time and to a substantial part.
Single point of contact
For this procedure, you can use the service of the Single Point of Contact (Einheitlicher Ansprechpartner). They will guide you through the administrative procedure, take care of correspondence with all the offices responsible for your request and will be available to you as a competent advisor.
local chamber of handicrafts
- Warum soll ich einen Ort angeben?
- Mit Hilfe der Ortsangabe können wir die für Sie passenden Informationen, Formulare, Dienste und Ihre zuständige Stelle anzeigen.
- Welchen Ort soll ich angeben?
- Zum Beispiel Ihren Wohnort, wenn Sie einen Reisepass beantragen wollen oder den Unternehmensstandort, wenn Sie ein Gewerbe anmelden möchten.
Existence of an exceptional reason
According to the legal regulations, an exceptional reason only exists if it would be an unreasonable burden for you at the time of application or afterwards to take the master craftsman's examination before taking up work as a self-employed person or business manager.
Excessive time and professional demands are regularly not recognized as a reason because these burdens are placed on every candidate for a master craftsman's examination.
Proof of knowledge and skills equivalent to those of a master craftsman
It must be clear from your professional background that you not only have the theoretical knowledge and practical skills of a master craftsman. You must also have basic commercial, business management and legal knowledge in order to be able to run a craft business independently.
The applicant can only be a natural person. Companies are not eligible as applicants.
You or your company manager submit the application in writing to the relevant Chamber of Crafts or via the Single Point of Contact (SSC).
You are well advised to contact the chamber beforehand.
- Application form: "Forms / Online Services" list at the top right of the margin column.
You can obtain the application form to apply for an exemption from the Dresden Chamber of Skilled Crafts portal.
- Fill out the application and attach the necessary documents.
- Submit the complete application documents to your responsible Chamber of Skilled Crafts or the Single Point of Contact.
- Expert staff at the Chamber of Skilled Crafts will review your application and - if necessary - obtain an expert opinion.
- The Chamber of Skilled Crafts will inform you in a decision whether you will be granted an exemption.
- Application form (see "Procedure")
- Proof of professional training and previous professional activity (also activities and examinations that have nothing to do with the subject of the application for exemption!)
- Photocopies of certificates and proofs of employment in single copy
- Details of the business you wish to run as owner, partner or manager (also details of an existing business that is to be entered in the register of skilled crafts at a later date)
- Information on the master craftsman examinationIf you are still taking the master craftsman's examination: Submission of your "examination timetable" (registration and attendance certificates for preparatory courses showing start, duration and regular attendance); if applicable, the admission noticeJustification of the exceptional case
Chambers of Crafts in the Free State of Saxony. 17.01.2017