Health care professional with foreign professional qualification, apply for recognition

Permission to practice as a geriatric nurse, dietician, occupational therapist, midwife / maternity nurse, health and nursing assistant, speech therapist, masseur / medical bath attendant, emergency paramedic, orthoptist, pharmaceutical technical assistant, physiotherapist, podiatrist, technical assistant in medicine.

If you would like to work in Germany in a specific health profession without restriction, you need a state permit. If you have a foreign professional qualification, you can obtain permission if your training is recognized as equivalent.

You need the permit for the following professions:

  • Geriatric nurse
  • Dietician
  • Occupational therapist
  • Midwife/maternity nurse
  • Health care worker and nurse
  • Speech therapist
  • Masseur/medical bath attendant
  • Emergency paramedic
  • Orthoptist
  • Pharmaceutical technical assistant
  • Physiotherapist
  • Podiatrist
  • Technical assistant in medicine

Temporary exercise of profession

Nationals of the European Union or the European Economic Area who wish to work in Germany only temporarily and occasionally do not require a state permit. However, you must report your activity to the competent office. Further information can be obtained from the competent office.

Onlineantrag und Formulare

Kein Onlineantrag und keine Formulare vorhanden.

Zuständige Stelle

Warum soll ich einen Ort angeben?
Mit Hilfe der Ortsangabe können wir die für Sie passenden Informationen, Formulare, Dienste und Ihre zuständige Stelle anzeigen.
Welchen Ort soll ich angeben?
Zum Beispiel Ihren Wohnort, wenn Sie einen Reisepass beantragen wollen oder den Unternehmensstandort, wenn Sie ein Gewerbe anmelden möchten.

Service details

Detailed information


Professional qualification:

  • appropriate foreign professional qualification.

Personal qualifications:

  • Personal reliability
  • gealth suitibility
  • Sufficient knowledge of the German language:
    • at least level C1of the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages.
    • otherwise: at least level B2


Get free advice on the recognition of your foreign professional qualification.

  • The competent body will check whether your qualification obtained abroad is equivalent to the corresponding German qualification.
  • Your degree will be recognized as equivalent if there are no significant differences between your foreign degree and the corresponding German degree.
  • You will be granted permission if your degree is recognized as equivalent and the other requirements are also met.
  • If there are significant differences between your and the German reference qualification, you can take part in a compensatory measure (examination or adaptation course) to achieve equivalence. You can obtain more information from the relevant office.

Required documents

  • Completed application form
  • Civil documents on name, place and date of birth (e.g. birth/marriage certificate, excerpt from the family register)
  • Proof of citizenship: passport, ID card or residence permit
  • Up to date, complete tabular CV with precise details on your educational and professional background
  • Proof of education: certificates, diploma, professional license, registration, overview of subjects and studies, specialized examination, specialized internship, etc.
  • If applicable, further evidence of qualifications
  • Evidence of relevant work experience (e.g. employment certificate, work book, index)
  • If resident in Germany: certificate of registration (copy)
  • If resident abroad: credible evidence that the occupation is to be practiced in the Free State of Saxony. Suitable documents must be submitted for this purpose, e.g. confirmation from the future employer, letter(s) of application or job wanted ad(s)
  • Proof of German language skills from a recognized language institute (can be submitted later)
  • Proof of personal suitability:
    • If resident in Germany: police clearance certificate for submission to an authority
    • If resident abroad: documents from your country of origin, proving your good conduct
  • Current medical certificate stating that you are suitable for the job, with date, stamp and signature of the physician

The responsible office may require additional documents.

Notes: Please send only certified copies and never originals. For documents in foreign languages, a copy in the original language and a copy of a German translation are required. Translations must be done by a publicly appointed or sworn interpreter or translator.


  • Administrative fee: EUR 44.00
  • Expenses

Release note

Saxon State Ministry for Social Affairs and Social Cohesion. 17.06.2020