International birth certificate, request from registry office_1
Do you need an international birth certificate as proof abroad? You can request an extract from the births register, in multiple languages, in person, in writing or by fax from the registry office in your city of birth.
This document is valid in all countries signing the agreement, dated 8 September 1976, on the issuing of multiple-language extracts from civil status registers.
The personal details in the civil status register are subject to data protection. Register extracts can thus only be issued
- for persons to whom the entry relates
- partners (as defined by the Partners Act (LPartG)),
- ancestors and descendents (e.g. children and grandchildren),
- siblings, if they demonstrate a justified interest.
Other persons, i.e. close relatives such as aunts and uncles, can only obtain a certificate if they can credibly demonstrate a legal interest (e.g. letter from the probate court, court judgement or enforceable instrument).
- Visit the registry office which certified the birth.
- Provide your ID or passport for identification purposes.
- You generally pay the fee beforehand when lodging the request at the registry office.
Requesting by post or fax
- Address an informal letter to the relevant registry office, asking it to issue an international birth certificate. Depending on the city’s or municipality’s services, the request form may also be available online.
- Your letter must contain the following information
- Last name, first name
- Date and place of birth
- Parents’ first and last names
- If known: registry office and certification number
- Enclose a certified copy of your ID or passport with the letter.
- You will be notified of fees when the document is sent.
- § 55 Personenstandsgesetz (PStG) – Civil status documents
- § 59 PStG – Birth certificate
- § 62 PStG – Certificate issue, information, viewing
- § 50 Verordnung zur Ausführung des Personenstandsgesetzes (PStV) – Multiple-language extract from civil status registers
- § 3 Verordnung des Sächsischen Staatsministeriums des Innern zur Ausführung personenstandsrechtlicher und familienrechtlicher Vorschriften (SächsPStVO) in conjunction with the Appendix to § 3 – Fees
- Übereinkommen über die Ausstellung mehrsprachiger Auszüge aus Personenstandsbüchern / Zivilstandsregistern vom 8. September 1976, dated 1976-09-08