Interpreters, translators and sign language interpreters who wish to work for courts or authorities can be publicly appointed and sworn in.
If you would like to carry out such an activity, you can apply for your public appointment.
Even if you have already been publicly appointed in another federal state or outside the Federal Republic of Germany, you can be publicly appointed in Saxony.
Single Point of Contact
For this procedure, you can use the service of the Single Point of Contact (Einheitlicher Ansprechpartner). They will guide you through the administrative procedure, take care of correspondence with all the offices responsible for your request and will be available to you as a competent advisor.
President of the Dresden Higher Regional Court
- Warum soll ich einen Ort angeben?
- Mit Hilfe der Ortsangabe können wir die für Sie passenden Informationen, Formulare, Dienste und Ihre zuständige Stelle anzeigen.
- Welchen Ort soll ich angeben?
- Zum Beispiel Ihren Wohnort, wenn Sie einen Reisepass beantragen wollen oder den Unternehmensstandort, wenn Sie ein Gewerbe anmelden möchten.
- German citizenship or citizenship of another EU country or professional establishment or permanent residence in Saxony
- age of majority
- personal reliability
- professional suitability
As a rule, you do not possess the required reliability if you:
- have lost the qualification to hold public office,
- are not only temporarily prevented from performing the intended activity as a result of illness or addiction,
- are in financial collapse (for example, if insolvency proceedings have been opened against your assets) or
- your financial circumstances jeopardize the purposes of the official or judicial proceedings.
Proof of professional suitability
In principle, professional qualification can be demonstrated by passing a state examination or an equivalent examination.
Proof of professional qualification can be provided by:
- a certificate issued by an examination authority named in Annex 3 or Annex 4 of the Saxon Interpreter Ordinance (Sächsische Dolmetscherverordnung) confirming that the candidate has passed the state examination for interpreters / translators or sign language interpreters ,
- a certificate acquired in the Federal Republic of Germany confirming successful completion of a university course of study as an interpreter / translator or sign language interpreter with a standard period of study of at least seven semesters,
- a certificate of successful completion of a university course of study as a graduate language mediator or graduate interpreter or of successful completion of a technical school course of study as a language mediator or interpreter, obtained on the basis of the law in force in the territory referred to in Article 3 of the Unification Treaty before
- a certificate acquired on the basis of the law in force in the territory referred to in Article 3 of the Unification Treaty prior to October 3, 1990, confirming successful completion of a university course of study as a graduate language mediator, graduate translator, graduate technical translator or academically certified translator at a university or successful completion of a technical school course of study as a language mediator or translator,
- a certificate of successful completion of language-related university studies acquired outside the Federal Republic of Germany or a language-related training certificate from another institution acquired in a member state of the European Union, in another state party to the Agreement on the European Economic Area or in Switzerland (member state or party to the Agreement), provided that the State Ministry for Science and the Arts has recognized it as equivalent,
- a certificate of successful completion of studies acquired outside the Federal Republic of Germany or a certificate of training as an interpreter of German Sign Language acquired in a member or contracting state, provided that the State Ministry of Science and Art has recognized it as equivalent, or
- a notice on the granting of professional qualification without examination according to § 11 para. 2 sentence 2 no. 4 of the SächsDolmG (Saxon Dolm Act)
- a certificate issued in the period from 1996 to 2000 by the National Center for Interpreters for the Deaf for passing the advanced training examination for sign language interpreters.
Recognition of foreign university degrees
If you have acquired your degree abroad, you must apply for recognition of the equivalence of your degree at the Saxon State Ministry for Science and Art. The application will be sent to you with the application documents for the public appointment by the Dresden Higher Regional Court and must also be submitted there with all the required documents (are named in the application form).
The application will be submitted by the Higher Regional Court to the Saxon State Ministry of Science and Art for review.
You must apply for the public appointment and general swearing-in in writing; an application form is available online for this purpose. Follow the instructions on the form.
- Fill out the application completely and compile the documents mentioned there.
- After submitting the application documents, you will receive further information on sending the certificate of good conduct, payment of the administrative fee and submission of certificates proving professional suitability.
- The Higher Regional Court will check your application for completeness; if necessary, missing documents will be requested.
Note: If the determination of a qualification acquired abroad is required, the application will be forwarded to the Saxon State Ministry of Science and Art after all requirements have been met.
- If your application is approved, you will be sworn in and receive a certificate of appointment in which all languages for which you are publicly appointed and the respective type of appointment are stated. If you do not meet the necessary requirements for public appointment, you will be informed of this in writing.
- Once you have been sworn in, you will be entered in the database of sworn, publicly appointed or generally authorized interpreters and translators.
- fully completed and signed application form
- Curriculum vitae
- a passport photograph
- certified proof of professional qualification as an interpreter, translator or sign language interpreter (e.g. certificates, university degree certificates, certificate of passing the state examination)
- as proof of personal reliability: police clearance certificate of type O for submission to the President of the Dresden Higher Regional Court; purpose of use: the respective file number and "Appointment as interpreter / translator / sign language interpreter". The costs will not be reimbursed.
- Sächsisches Dolmetschergesetz (SächsDolmG)
- Sächsische Dolmetscherverordnung (SächsDolmVO)
- Verwaltungsvorschrift des Sächsichen Staatsministeriums der Justiz zum Sächsischen Dolmetschergesetz (VwV Dolmetscher)
- § 30 Nr. 4.1 Sächsische Justizorganisationsverordnung (SächsJOrgVO)
Saxon State Ministry of Justice. 17.01.2017