Issue veterinary certificate for meat and food of animal origin

Certain products of animal origin must be certified as fit for human consumption. Within the European Union, this takes the form of a health mark or identification mark on the product or on the packaging.

Commercial movement of goods

Movement of goods within the European Community

In the case of intra-Community movement, only the dispatch of live animals, semen, embryos and ova as well as certain products of Regulation (EC) No. 1069/2009 are reported via the central European database system for trade control "TRACES" (Trade Control and Expert System), here the corresponding health certificates are deposited in "TRACES".

For most animal products usually only trade documents are carried, no health or health certificates.

Import from third countries

In addition to meat and meat products, the following products of animal origin require an animal health or veterinary certificate if they are to be placed on the market in Germany or the EU:

  • Milk products
  • Eggs and egg products
  • frogs' legs and snails
  • Gelatine and raw materials
  • Collagen and raw materials
  • Fish egg products
  • Live mussels
  • Honey and other beekeeping products

Import is allowed only from approved establishments from listed third countries.

Veterinary certificate for import from third countries

Each consignment of meat and other products of animal origin from third countries must be accompanied by a so-called veterinary certificate.

There are special veterinary certificates for all products, which must be issued and signed by official veterinarians. The applicable model of the veterinary certificate depends on the EU regulations.

The veterinary certificate must be issued by an official veterinarian designated by the competent authority of the place of dispatch in the third country before loading.

For consignments from third countries, the certificate must be issued in the official language(s) of the Member State of destination and the Member State where the border inspection takes place. Otherwise, a certified translation into the relevant language(s) must accompany it.

TRACES database system

With the declaration and issuance of the certificate for commercial purposes, the consignment is transmitted to TRACES and checked against the data held there, for example on the area of origin and the slaughterhouse.

Importation may only take place through an EU approved border inspection post at airports, seaports and roadside inspection posts. The border inspection post informs the local competent veterinary authority of the type, quantity and exact consignee of the consignment at the time of clearance using TRACES.

Export of goods to third countries

For export, there are coordinated veterinary certificates or only veterinary certificates transmitted by the corresponding third country.

It may happen that the official veterinarian does not confirm the requested requirements and therefore export cannot take place. Many third countries sometimes have requirements that go beyond EU law.

Non-commercial movement of goods

Travel regulation

The non-commercial import of all animal products has been regulated by the legislator in a separate regulation.

It is advisable to familiarize yourself with this before traveling, as the import of meat and milk and products made from them into the EU is prohibited.

Single Point of Contact

For this procedure, you can use the service of the Single Point of Contact (Einheitlicher Ansprechpartner). They will guide you through the administrative procedure, take care of correspondence with all the offices responsible for your request and will be available to you as a competent advisor.

Onlineantrag und Formulare

Hinweis: Sobald Sie eine Postleitzahl oder einen Ort angegeben haben, können wir Ihnen an dieser Stelle den Onlineantrag und die Formulare der zuständigen Stelle anzeigen. Ort angeben

Zuständige Stelle

Food Control and Veterinary Office

Hinweis: Sobald Sie eine Postleitzahl oder einen Ort angegeben haben, können wir Ihnen an dieser Stelle weitere Informationen zu der für Sie zuständigen Stelle anzeigen. Ort angeben
Warum soll ich einen Ort angeben?
Mit Hilfe der Ortsangabe können wir die für Sie passenden Informationen, Formulare, Dienste und Ihre zuständige Stelle anzeigen.
Welchen Ort soll ich angeben?
Zum Beispiel Ihren Wohnort, wenn Sie einen Reisepass beantragen wollen oder den Unternehmensstandort, wenn Sie ein Gewerbe anmelden möchten.

Service details


Report the commercial shipment to the competent veterinary authority in person or in writing (by mail, e-mail or fax) before loading.

Note: Under certain circumstances, the competent authority may request preliminary certificates and others.

Based on the information available, the authority will decide whether to issue a veterinary certificate.

Criteria of the examination are:

  • Type and quantity of food
  • Weight and type of packaging
  • Address of the producer and his or her identity
  • Address of the recipient
  • any import restrictions imposed by the importing country

Different legislation and export specifications apply depending on the third country to which the food is to be delivered.

If the requirements are met, you will receive a veterinary certificate and a fee notice for this official act.


Notification to the competent veterinary authority: in time before loading the goods.


The costs are calculated on the basis of the Saxon cost schedule.

Release note

Saxon State Ministry for Social Affairs and Consumer Protection. 26.07.2019