Every EU citizen is entitled to free movement within the European Union. Under certain circumstances, the same also applies to their family members, regardless of whether or not these are EU citizens.
Free movement means the right to move freely within the European Union, enter and reside in any other member state, and be able to engage in gainful employment there under the same conditions as local citizens.
Family members are:
- The spouse, partner, or the descendants of EU citizens who are entitled to freedom of movement, or their spouses or partners who are under 21 years of age
- Relatives (in ascending and descending order) of EU citizens entitled to free movement or their spouses, who are supported by these
Ausländerbehörde der Stadtverwaltung oder des Landratsamtes
(Bureau for Foreigners oft the municipality or district office)
- Warum soll ich einen Ort angeben?
- Mit Hilfe der Ortsangabe können wir die für Sie passenden Informationen, Formulare, Dienste und Ihre zuständige Stelle anzeigen.
- Welchen Ort soll ich angeben?
- Zum Beispiel Ihren Wohnort, wenn Sie einen Reisepass beantragen wollen oder den Unternehmensstandort, wenn Sie ein Gewerbe anmelden möchten.
If, as a family member, you are yourself an EU or EEA (Norway, Iceland and Liechtenstein) citizen, or a citizen of Switzerland, you are entitled to free movement under certain conditions.
If, as a family member, you are not an EU, EEA or Swiss citizen, but instead come from another country (third-party country), you are entitled to a derived right of residence.
Contact the competent centre in person or in writing if you wish to obtain a residence card. It will also provide you with the "Erhebungsbogen nach § 5 FreizügG / EU" (Data entry form according to § 5 of the Free Movement Act / EU), which can also be downloaded online at Amt24, depending on the services offered by the authority.
- ID or passport
- Additionally for employees:
- Employment contract or employment grant (or that of the spouse or partner)
- Additionally for self-employed persons:
- Trade licence or proof of self-employment (or the trade licence or proof of self-employment for the spouse or partner)
- Civil status documents (e.g. marriage certificate, birth certificate)
- Additionally for unemployed persons:
- Proof of adequate health insurance and funding
- Additionally for students:
- Certificate of enrolment
- Biometric photo
Based on the German version authorized by Sächsisches Staatsministerium des Innern. 05.07.2018