Since 2008-09-01, knowledge of Germany’s legal and social order, as well as living conditions in Germany, is a pre-requisite for naturalisation. These are generally proven by passing the standardised national naturalisation test. In order to pass the test, 17 out of 33 multiple choice questions must be answered correctly.
Civic knowledge is also proven, rendering a naturalisation test unnecessary, if you can (exclusively) provide a completion certificate from a German secondary school ("Hauptschule"), or a comparable or higher completion certificate from a German school for general education ("allgemeinbildende Schule").
Children under 16 are exempted from the requirement and proof of civic knowledge. This also applies to persons who, due to a physical, intellectual or mental illness or disability, or due to their age, are not able to fulfil the civic knowledge requirement.
The states offer naturalisation courses to prepare for the test.
Naturalisation tests are carried out by a number of inspecting authorities. For information about the test centre available in your case contact your local citizenship authority (Staatsangehörigkeitsbehörde).
- Warum soll ich einen Ort angeben?
- Mit Hilfe der Ortsangabe können wir die für Sie passenden Informationen, Formulare, Dienste und Ihre zuständige Stelle anzeigen.
- Welchen Ort soll ich angeben?
- Zum Beispiel Ihren Wohnort, wenn Sie einen Reisepass beantragen wollen oder den Unternehmensstandort, wenn Sie ein Gewerbe anmelden möchten.
- If you would like to sit a naturalisation test, arrange a time with the test centre (whose details are provided by the citizenship office).
- If you attended an integration course, you may also be registered for the test through the course provider.
- At the start of the test, you will be given an officially approved questionnaire with 33 questions.
- You have 60 minutes to answer the questions.
- The test is marked by a central office.
- The Federal Office for Migration and Refugees will then provide you with a certification of your personal test result.
- If you answer at least 17 questions correctly, you pass the test.
- You can present the certificate to the citizenship office as proof of civic knowledge.
- If you answer less than 17 questions correctly, you do not pass the test, but can re-sit it at a later date.
Based on the German version authorized by Sächsisches Staatsministerium des Innern