Knowledge of the legal and social order and living conditions is a prerequisite for naturalization in Germany. As a rule, this is proven by passing the nationwide naturalization test.
To pass the test, 17 out of 33 multiple choice questions on a questionnaire must be answered correctly. A model questionnaire is available on the website of the Federal Office for Migration and Refugees (Bundesamt für Migration und Flüchtlinge).
If you can prove that you have (exclusively) graduated from a German general school and hold a secondary modern school leaving certificate (Hauptschulabschluss) or a comparable/higher school leaving certificate, this is regarded as proof of civic knowledge and no naturalization test is required.
Minors under 16 years of age are exempt from the requirement to prove civic knowledge. This also applies to persons who, due to a physical, mental or psychological illness or disability or because of their age, are not able to fulfill the requirement of civic knowledge at all.
The federal states offer naturalization courses as a specific preparation for the test.
Citizenship office of the municipal or district administration
- Warum soll ich einen Ort angeben?
- Mit Hilfe der Ortsangabe können wir die für Sie passenden Informationen, Formulare, Dienste und Ihre zuständige Stelle anzeigen.
- Welchen Ort soll ich angeben?
- Zum Beispiel Ihren Wohnort, wenn Sie einen Reisepass beantragen wollen oder den Unternehmensstandort, wenn Sie ein Gewerbe anmelden möchten.
Attention! Naturalization tests are conducted by various test centers. Please get in touch with the citizenship office responsible for your place of residence to find out which test center to contact.
- At the beginning of the exam, you will receive an officially approved questionnaire with 33 questions.
- You have 60 minutes to answer the questions.
- The test questionnaires will be evaluated centrally after the end of the examination.
- You will then receive a certificate from the Federal Office for Migration and Refugees confirming your personal test result.
- If you have answered at least 17 questions correctly, you have passed the test.
- With the certificate, you can prove your civic knowledge at the citizenship office.
- If you have answered fewer than 17 questions correctly, you have not passed the test, but you have the possibility to retake it at a later date.
If you wish to take a naturalization test, arrange an examination date with the test center named by the citizenship office. If you have attended an integration course, you may also be able to register for the test via the course provider.
Saxon State Ministry of the Interior. 07.10.2020