Parental proprietary share for daycare, apply for reduction or waiver

If you receive

  • social benefits to secure your livelihood according to SGB II and/or SGB XII,
  • benefits according to the Asylum Seekers' Benefits Act (Asylbewerberleistungsgesetz)
  • housing benefit or
  • supplementary child benefit or if you
  • have a low income and you cannot be expected to bear the financial burden of the parental proprietary share for daycare,

you may get a reduction or the proprietary share may be waived altogether.

Note: It makes no difference whether your child attends a municipal facility or a daycare center run by a non-governmental provider.

Onlineantrag und Formulare

Hinweis: Sobald Sie eine Postleitzahl oder einen Ort angegeben haben, können wir Ihnen an dieser Stelle den Onlineantrag und die Formulare der zuständigen Stelle anzeigen. Ort angeben

Zuständige Stelle

Youth welfare office of the municipal or district administration or the local agency of public youth welfare services

Hinweis: Sobald Sie eine Postleitzahl oder einen Ort angegeben haben, können wir Ihnen an dieser Stelle weitere Informationen zu der für Sie zuständigen Stelle anzeigen. Ort angeben
Warum soll ich einen Ort angeben?
Mit Hilfe der Ortsangabe können wir die für Sie passenden Informationen, Formulare, Dienste und Ihre zuständige Stelle anzeigen.
Welchen Ort soll ich angeben?
Zum Beispiel Ihren Wohnort, wenn Sie einen Reisepass beantragen wollen oder den Unternehmensstandort, wenn Sie ein Gewerbe anmelden möchten.

Service details


  • Whoever submits the application must live in the same household as the child in daycare and have custody.
  • Applicants must provide proof that they cannot reasonably bear the expense of the full parental proprietary share.


You can apply for a reduction or waiver of the parental proprietary share at the local youth welfare office.

  • Fill out the application form and attach the required proof.
  • Submit the application with the required documents to the responsible office, which will check to what extent you can be expected to pay the proprietary share.
  • You will be notified of the result in writing.

Required documents

  • copy of the childcare contract for facilities run by non-governmental providers
  • proof of income such as salary slips, unemployment benefit notices, Bafög notices
  • proof of rental costs
  • if you live in your own home: proof of interest payments and additional costs such as property tax, water/sewage, street cleaning, garbage collection
  • proof of insurance premiums and other regular expenses
Note: The municipal institutions require different proofs of income. These also depend on whether the applicant is employed or freelance, studying or unemployed. For a complete list of required documents, please contact the responsible office.


Grant period: according to the written notification

Extension of grant period: upon application (has to be submitted before the initial grant period expires)

Note: Retroactive granting is not possible.

Release note

Saxon State Ministry of Education and Cultural Affairs 29.03.2021