Register of craftsmen, apply for authorization to practice an additional craft

Application for a right to practice according to § 7a Crafts Code (HWO)

If you are already registered in the Crafts Register and would like to practice an additional craft, you can apply for an authorization to practice an additional craft under certain conditions. 

Note: With an exercise authorization, you may not hold a master craftsman title and may not train in the craft in question.

You can also obtain an authorization to practice for an additional craft that is subject to approval or for essential activities of this craft. To do so, you must provide evidence of the knowledge and skills required in each case. The Chamber of Crafts also takes into account your previous professional experience and activities.

The crafts subject to licensing are listed in Annex A to the Crafts Code.

Single Point of Contact

For this procedure, you can use the service of the Single Point of Contact (Einheitlicher Ansprechpartner). They will guide you through the administrative procedure, take care of correspondence with all the offices responsible for your request and will be available to you as a competent advisor.

Onlineantrag und Formulare

Hinweis: Sobald Sie eine Postleitzahl oder einen Ort angegeben haben, können wir Ihnen an dieser Stelle den Onlineantrag und die Formulare der zuständigen Stelle anzeigen. Ort angeben

Zuständige Stelle

local chamber of handicrafts

Hinweis: Sobald Sie eine Postleitzahl oder einen Ort angegeben haben, können wir Ihnen an dieser Stelle weitere Informationen zu der für Sie zuständigen Stelle anzeigen. Ort angeben
Warum soll ich einen Ort angeben?
Mit Hilfe der Ortsangabe können wir die für Sie passenden Informationen, Formulare, Dienste und Ihre zuständige Stelle anzeigen.
Welchen Ort soll ich angeben?
Zum Beispiel Ihren Wohnort, wenn Sie einen Reisepass beantragen wollen oder den Unternehmensstandort, wenn Sie ein Gewerbe anmelden möchten.

Service details


  • You already operate a craft according to § 1 HwO and are therefore registered in the register of craftsmen

You provide evidence of knowledge and skills in the other craft by means of:

  • Certificates (journeyman's certificate, college or technical school certificate or other certificates from state-recognized technical schools)
  • your previous professional experience (work certificates, references, etc.)
  • in case of doubt: certificate of competence


In the first step, take advantage of the advice offered by your Chamber of Skilled Crafts ("competent body").

  • You can obtain the necessary forms and leaflets online here via Amt24 or directly via the portal of your Chamber of Skilled Crafts.
  • Fill out the application and submit it to the Chamber of Skilled Crafts with the required documents and evidence.
  • After the Chamber of Skilled Crafts has examined the application, you will receive written notification as to whether and to what extent the authorization to practice is granted.
  • You will be entered in the register of skilled crafts.

The Chamber of Skilled Crafts may also grant the right to practice subject to conditions or for a limited period of time, or restrict it to a significant part of the activities that belong to a craft listed in Annex A.

Required documents

  • Application for the granting of an exercise authorization
  • Certificates and proofs
  • advantageous: evidence of attendance of professional courses and letters of reference from employers or clients

Processing time


"Old journeyman regulation"

According to § 7 b of the Crafts Code (HwO), you can also obtain a license to practice some crafts without a master craftsman's examination if you have relevant training as a journeyman/skilled worker and have worked in the craft for at least six years - including at least four years in a managerial position.

Legal basis

Release note

Chambers of Crafts in the Free State of Saxony. 23.12.2020