Corporations with their head office abroad must register branches in Germany for entry in the Commercial Register. The application is made via a notary public at the registration court in whose district the branch office is established: in the case of a branch office of a stock corporation (AG) by the management board, in the case of a branch office of a limited liability company (GmbH) by the managing directors.
A trade must also be registered for the branch office with the trade office of the respective city or municipality.
Single Point of Contact
For this procedure, you can use the service of the Single Point of Contact (Einheitlicher Ansprechpartner). They will guide you through the administrative procedure, take care of correspondence with all the offices responsible for your request and will be available to you as a competent advisor.
A notary's office of your choice
- Notary search
Chamber of Notaries
Keine zuständige Stelle vorhanden.
- Warum soll ich einen Ort angeben?
- Mit Hilfe der Ortsangabe können wir die für Sie passenden Informationen, Formulare, Dienste und Ihre zuständige Stelle anzeigen.
- Welchen Ort soll ich angeben?
- Zum Beispiel Ihren Wohnort, wenn Sie einen Reisepass beantragen wollen oder den Unternehmensstandort, wenn Sie ein Gewerbe anmelden möchten.
Find out from the notary or the single point of contact about supplementary requirements for
- the registration of a branch of stock corporations (AG) according to § 13f German Commercial Code (HGB) as well as
- limited liability companies (GmbH) pursuant to Section 13g of the German Commercial Code (HGB).
To make the application, contact a notary public.
- The notary will advise you on the formulation of the application.
- The application is made exclusively by electronic means, for this purpose a publicly certified document is created.
- The declaration is provided with an electronic signature (within the meaning of § 39a Beurkundungsgesetz / BeurkG) and sent to the electronic court and administrative mailbox of the registry court.
You will receive a notification of the registration made.
Have significant details about your company, such as the registered office, legal form or authorized representatives, changed? Then please have the register entry corrected without delay.
The entry is made in the same way exclusively by a notary public.
- Articles of association / partnership agreement of the foreign corporation in a publicly certified copy (if necessary, in a certified German translation)
- Amendments to the articles of association / partnership agreement
in addition, the following information / evidence:
- domestic business address
- object of the branch
- number of the entry and register where the company is kept (if the law of the country where the company has its registered office provides for registration in the register)
- the legal form of the company
- the persons authorized to represent the company in court as permanent representatives for the activities of the branch and an indication of their powers
- the law of the state to which the company is subject - unless it is a member state of the European Union or another state party to the Agreement on the European Economic Area
The notary will inform you about the (further) documents required in individual cases.
In case of registration of several branches:
- Submission of the articles of association / partnership agreement and their amendments for entry in the commercial register of one of these branches.
- Indication of the register and the number under which this branch is registered
- §§ 12, 13f, 13g Handelsgesetzbuch (HGB) – Handelsregister; Unternehmensregister
- § 24 Verordnung über die Einrichtung und Führung des Handelsregisters (HRV)
- Gesetz betreffend die Gesellschaften mit beschränkter Haftung (GmbHG)
- Aktiengesetz (AktG)
- Gesetz über Kosten der freiwilligen Gerichtsbarkeit für Gerichte und Notare (Gerichts- und Notarkostengesetz – GNotKG)
- Verordnung über Gebühren in Handels-, Partnerschafts- und Genossenschaftsregistersachen (HRegGebV), Anlage (zu § 1) Gebührenverzeichnis
Saxon State Ministry of Justice and for Democracy, Europe and Equality. 27.08.2020