Registering a second place of residence

If you move into a place of residence, you are obliged to register with the city’s or municipality’s registration authority within two weeks. Your primary place of residence is considered your main residence. If you have an additional place of residence, this is your secondary residence, which also needs to be registered. A secondary residence must only be registered if you stay there for longer than six months, and at least occasionally live and sleep there. Note that any change to your residential status must be reported to the registration authority.

  • Persons aged 16 and under must note that the place of residence must be registered by the person to whom it belongs. A guardian’s consent may be necessary.
  • Residential establishments (for example student residences), holiday houses and bungalows are not exempted, and must thus also be registered.

Secondary residence tax

The municipalities generally impose a secondary residence tax, which must be paid by all persons of legal age.

Onlineantrag und Formulare

Hinweis: Sobald Sie eine Postleitzahl oder einen Ort angegeben haben, können wir Ihnen an dieser Stelle den Onlineantrag und die Formulare der zuständigen Stelle anzeigen. Ort angeben

Zuständige Stelle

Meldebehörde der Gemeinde- oder Stadtverwaltung (local registration office)

Hinweis: Sobald Sie eine Postleitzahl oder einen Ort angegeben haben, können wir Ihnen an dieser Stelle weitere Informationen zu der für Sie zuständigen Stelle anzeigen. Ort angeben
Warum soll ich einen Ort angeben?
Mit Hilfe der Ortsangabe können wir die für Sie passenden Informationen, Formulare, Dienste und Ihre zuständige Stelle anzeigen.
Welchen Ort soll ich angeben?
Zum Beispiel Ihren Wohnort, wenn Sie einen Reisepass beantragen wollen oder den Unternehmensstandort, wenn Sie ein Gewerbe anmelden möchten.

Service details


  • To register, you must complete and sign the official registration form. You must submit this in person, or ask another suitable person to submit it for you.
    • Family members and partners should use a joint registration form if they are moving from one joint residence to another joint residence on the same day.
    • Up to four persons can be entered on each form; another form must be used for any additional persons.
  • You will then receive a registration confirmation from the relevant authority.
  • If you need to pay secondary residence tax, you will be advised of this by post.

Depending on the services offered by the municipality, a registration form may be unnecessary, and the data may be collected directly by presenting in person to the authority. You will then have to confirm the accuracy of the information by signing a hard copy.

Note:  If the registration authority for your new place of residence has enabled online registration, you can send the required information online using an eligible electronic signature.

Please note! You cannot use this service if
  • you are relocating from abroad, or
  • you use a pseudonym instead of your real name in your electronic signature.

In these cases, you must register as described above.


Required documents

  • ID card or passport
  • ID documents of family members registered together on the same form
  • for children: child passport or birth certificate

The registration authority can ask for further documents to prove the information (for example birth certificate, marriage certificate, divorce decree).


You must register within two weeks of moving into the place of residence.



Note: Registration may incur costs if the municipality charges a secondary residence tax.

Legal basis

  • § 10 ff. Saxon Registration Act (Sächsisches Meldegesetz, SächsMG) – General registration requirement
  • § 12 SächsMG – Primary and secondary residences

Release note

Based on the German version authorized by Sächsisches Staatsministerium des Innern