If you move into a place of residence, you are obliged to register with the city’s or municipality’s registration authority within two weeks. Your primary place of residence is considered your main residence. If you have an additional place of residence, this is your secondary residence, which also needs to be registered. A secondary residence must only be registered if you stay there for longer than six months, and at least occasionally live and sleep there. Note that any change to your residential status must be reported to the registration authority.
- Persons aged 16 and under must note that the place of residence must be registered by the person to whom it belongs. A guardian’s consent may be necessary.
- Residential establishments (for example student residences), holiday houses and bungalows are not exempted, and must thus also be registered.
Secondary residence tax
The municipalities generally impose a secondary residence tax, which must be paid by all persons of legal age.
Meldebehörde der Gemeinde- oder Stadtverwaltung (local registration office)
- Warum soll ich einen Ort angeben?
- Mit Hilfe der Ortsangabe können wir die für Sie passenden Informationen, Formulare, Dienste und Ihre zuständige Stelle anzeigen.
- Welchen Ort soll ich angeben?
- Zum Beispiel Ihren Wohnort, wenn Sie einen Reisepass beantragen wollen oder den Unternehmensstandort, wenn Sie ein Gewerbe anmelden möchten.
- To register, you must complete and sign the official registration form. You must submit this in person, or ask another suitable person to submit it for you.
- Family members and partners should use a joint registration form if they are moving from one joint residence to another joint residence on the same day.
- Up to four persons can be entered on each form; another form must be used for any additional persons.
- You will then receive a registration confirmation from the relevant authority.
- If you need to pay secondary residence tax, you will be advised of this by post.
Depending on the services offered by the municipality, a registration form may be unnecessary, and the data may be collected directly by presenting in person to the authority. You will then have to confirm the accuracy of the information by signing a hard copy.
Note: If the registration authority for your new place of residence has enabled online registration, you can send the required information online using an eligible electronic signature.
- you are relocating from abroad, or
- you use a pseudonym instead of your real name in your electronic signature.
In these cases, you must register as described above.
- ID card or passport
- ID documents of family members registered together on the same form
- for children: child passport or birth certificate
The registration authority can ask for further documents to prove the information (for example birth certificate, marriage certificate, divorce decree).
Based on the German version authorized by Sächsisches Staatsministerium des Innern