Registering with registration offices (Relocation to another municipality)

If you move to another municipality, you must register with the registration office at your new place of residence within two weeks.

For children aged 16 and under, registration must be performed by the person to whose place of residence the children are moving. A guardian’s consent may be necessary.

Tip: Take your personal ID documents with you so these can be updated when registering at your new place of residence.

Onlineantrag und Formulare

Hinweis: Sobald Sie eine Postleitzahl oder einen Ort angegeben haben, können wir Ihnen an dieser Stelle den Onlineantrag und die Formulare der zuständigen Stelle anzeigen. Ort angeben

Zuständige Stelle

Meldebehörde der Gemeinde- oder Stadtverwaltung (local registration office)

Hinweis: Sobald Sie eine Postleitzahl oder einen Ort angegeben haben, können wir Ihnen an dieser Stelle weitere Informationen zu der für Sie zuständigen Stelle anzeigen. Ort angeben
Warum soll ich einen Ort angeben?
Mit Hilfe der Ortsangabe können wir die für Sie passenden Informationen, Formulare, Dienste und Ihre zuständige Stelle anzeigen.
Welchen Ort soll ich angeben?
Zum Beispiel Ihren Wohnort, wenn Sie einen Reisepass beantragen wollen oder den Unternehmensstandort, wenn Sie ein Gewerbe anmelden möchten.

Service details


To register, you must complete and sign the official registration form. You must submit this in person, or ask another suitable person to submit it for you.

Depending on the services offered by the municipality, a registration form may be unnecessary, and the data may be collected directly by presenting in person to the authority. You will then have to confirm the accuracy of the information by signing a hard copy.

Family members and partners should use a joint registration form if they are moving from one joint residence to another joint residence on the same day. Up to four persons can be entered on each form; another form must be used for any additional persons.

You will receive a registration confirmation once registration is complete.

Note: If the registration authority for your new place of residence has enabled online registration, you can send the required information online using an eligible electronic signature.

Please note! You cannot use this service if
  • you are relocating from abroad
  • you use a pseudonym instead of your real name in your electronic signature.

In these cases, you must register as described above.


Required documents

  • ID card or passport, if the registrant is aged 16 or over
  • ID documents of family members registered together on the same form
    • for children: child passport or birth certificate

The registration authority can ask for further documents to prove the information (for example birth certificate, marriage certificate, divorce decree).


You must register within two weeks.


Not complying with your registration duty, or not doing so on time, is an administrative offence which may incur a fine of up to EUR 500.00.

By registering with the local municipality (main residence), you will automatically be entered onto the electoral roll for the next election or vote, insofar as you are eligible to vote. Special conditions apply for other EU citizens in regards to EU elections. In order to be able to participate in a municipal election, you must live in the municipality for at least three months.

Legal basis

Release note

Based on the German version authorized by Sächsisches Staatsministerium des Innern. 2014-07-11