Registration of a new vehicle

If you want to drive a brand new car on public roads, it must be registered. An official licence number is assigned during the registration process if the vehicle corresponds to an approved model or an individual approval is issued and the relevant third-party liability insurance according to the Obligatory Insurance Act exists. All vehicles and their trailers must be registered if they exceed a design-based maximum speed of more than six kilometres per hour.

Some vehicles are exempted from the duty of registration, for example mopeds with a maximum output of eleven kilowatts and an engine capacity of up to 125 cubic centimetres, or special trailers used to transport sporting equipment. They must, however, have a licence number.

Onlineantrag und Formulare

Hinweis: Sobald Sie eine Postleitzahl oder einen Ort angegeben haben, können wir Ihnen an dieser Stelle den Onlineantrag und die Formulare der zuständigen Stelle anzeigen. Ort angeben

Zuständige Stelle

Kfz-Zulassungsbehörde (vehicle registration authority)

Hinweis: Sobald Sie eine Postleitzahl oder einen Ort angegeben haben, können wir Ihnen an dieser Stelle weitere Informationen zu der für Sie zuständigen Stelle anzeigen. Ort angeben
Warum soll ich einen Ort angeben?
Mit Hilfe der Ortsangabe können wir die für Sie passenden Informationen, Formulare, Dienste und Ihre zuständige Stelle anzeigen.
Welchen Ort soll ich angeben?
Zum Beispiel Ihren Wohnort, wenn Sie einen Reisepass beantragen wollen oder den Unternehmensstandort, wenn Sie ein Gewerbe anmelden möchten.

Service details



As the owner of the vehicle, you must request registration from the competent registration authority. You can also issue a representative (for example your car dealer) with a written power of attorney. It is important here that the power of attorney contains a direct debit authorisation for the vehicle tax, as well as your consent to advising the authorised representative of the vehicle tax-related data.

  • Application form (if your registration authority requests it)
Note: The vehicle must be shown to the registration authority if a registration certificate Section II (registration document) is being requested for the first time (e.g. upon import).

Preferred licence number

If you have a preferred licence number, you can reserve it before the registration is made either in person, in writing, by telephone or online, depending on the registration authority's facilities.

Validation of the licence number

If the all-clear has been given for registration, the licence numbers are validated, i.e. given stickers for the main inspection ("Hauptuntersuchung", HU) and the registration district.

Required documents

  • valid ID card or passport with current certificate of registration
  • if being represented, the following are also required:
    • Written power of attorney (for approval and publication of any existing vehicle tax debts and declaration of participation in the direct debiting scheme)
      • Direct debit authorisation for vehicle tax upon approval by authorised representative
    • the authorised representative’s ID card or passport with latest certificate of registration
  • for companies:
    • natural person: business registration
    • legal entities: business registration and commercial register extract
    • company under civil law (GbR): articles of association and power of attorney for authorised signatures as per the contract
  • for minors the following are also required:
    • written power of attorney of the legal guardian, as well as their ID card
  • registration certificate Section II or registration document
  • certificate of conformity / COC-certificate (Proof that the vehicle corresponds to a particular model for which an EC model approval exists) or
  • model confirmation as per sample 2d (if the registration authority does not have any model data, it can be obtained from the dealer via the manufacturer)
  • Insurance certificate
  • if applicable, confirmation of reservation for the preferred licence number
  • Declaration of participation in the direct debiting scheme for vehicle tax
    • Direct debit authorisation for vehicle tax upon registration of a vehicle
Note: As you will be receiving high-quality, forgery-proof registration certificates, provide the registration authority with the originals or certified copies of your personal or business documents. Simple copies are generally inadequate.

Insurance certificate

You can obtain the insurance certificate for the third-party liability insurance from the insurance company of your choice. In most cases, you can request the insurance certificate by telephone from your insurance company.

It comprises a completed paper template (formerly called: "Doppelkarte" (provisional insurance card)) or a seven-digit string (so-called electronic insurance confirmation, "eVB"), which allows the insurance data from the insurance company to be retrieved, assessed and recorded in the vehicle register by the registration authority.

Licence numberplates

You can have the required number plates made during the registration process. To do this, contact the private providers which are normally located near the registration authorities. The costs for the number plates are not included in the fees.


  • EUR 26.30
  • For preferred licence numbers, also
    • EUR 2.60 for an advance reservation (if applicable)
    • EUR 10.20 for assigning the preferred licence number
  • If the vehicle data cannot be retrieved from the Federal Motor Transport Authority and is not available in the local vehicle register: an additional EUR 15.30
  • If adhesive seals are used: an additional EUR 0.30 per piece
  • If the bank’s letter is stored by the registration authority: an additional charge of up to EUR 15.30
  • If a technical change is made at the same time: an additional EUR 10.20

Legal basis

Release note

Based on the German version authorized by Sächsisches Staatsministerium für Wirtschaft, Arbeit und Verkehr