Request entry onto the electoral roll
An official electoral roll is kept in every electorate. Persons entitled to vote, and whose main place of residence is registered there on a certain day (35th day before the election), are officially entered onto the roll and will receive an election notice no later than three weeks prior to the election day.
If you wish to be entered onto the electoral roll of a city of municipality on which you are not already registered (e.g. because you recently moved), you have until the 21st day prior to the election to request this.
Appeal / Correction
If, by three weeks before the election, you have not received an election notice, you should immediately ask your city or municipal administration whether you are entered on the electoral roll. If you are not, but you believe you are entitled to vote, the roll can be corrected if you lodge an appeal (communal elections: request for correction).
You can view your city’s or municipality’s electoral roll during your municipal administration’s working hours 20 to 16 days prior to the election. If you have not been included on the electoral roll, you must immediately request this in writing or in person. Your voting entitlement will then be re-assessed.
Your informal written request should contain the following information:
- Your first and last names
- Your date of birth
- Your home address
- Your signature
- the phrase "Antrag auf Eintragung in das Wählerverzeichnis" (request for entry onto the electoral roll)
If an entry is possible, you will immediately receive an election notice. If you are not entitled to vote, you will also be notified immediately.
- § 17 Europawahlordnung (EuWO) – Procedure for entering Germans entitled to vote onto the electoral roll, upon request
- § 17 Bundeswahlgesetz (BWahlG) – Electoral roll and ballot paper
- § 18 Bundeswahlordnung (BWO) – Procedure for entry onto the electoral roll, upon request
- § 17 Gesetz über die Wahlen zum Sächsischen Landtag (SächsWahlG) – Electoral roll and ballot paper
- § 16 Verordnung des Sächsischen Staatsministeriums des Innern über die Durchführung der Wahlen zum Sächsischen Landtag (LWO) – Procedure for entry onto the electoral roll, upon request
- § 4 Gesetz über die Kommunalwahlen im Freistaat Sachsen (KomWG) – Electoral roll
- § 9 Verordnung des Sächsischen Staatsministeriums des Innern zur Durchführung des Gesetzes über die Kommunalwahlen im Freistaat Sachsen (KomWO) – Correcting the electoral roll
Based on the German version authorized by Sächsisches Staatsministerium des Innern; mandatory information on certain procedures and processes can be obtained from the state election supervisor. 2014-07-11