Examinations for interpreters and translators to prove professional qualification according to the Saxon Interpreters Act
If you want to work as an interpreter or translator for courts and authorities, you must be professionally qualified to do so. If you do not yet have the required proof of your professional aptitude, you can take a state translator or interpreter examination in the Free State of Saxony, provided that the language you wish to study is included in the examination program of the competent body.
The examination takes place once a year in Leipzig, the written part usually in the summer months. The following exams are possible:
- Translator exam for written language translation
- Interpreter exam for oral language translation
- Partial examination for state-certified translators to prove professional qualification as interpreters
- Partial examination for state-certified interpreters to prove professional qualification as translators
The following areas can be chosen as a specialty:
- Natural sciences including medicine
- Social sciences
Single Point of Contact
For this procedure, you can use the service of the Single Point of Contact (Einheitlicher Ansprechpartner). They will guide you through the administrative procedure, take care of correspondence with all the offices responsible for your request and will be available to you as a competent advisor.
Keine zuständige Stelle vorhanden.
- Warum soll ich einen Ort angeben?
- Mit Hilfe der Ortsangabe können wir die für Sie passenden Informationen, Formulare, Dienste und Ihre zuständige Stelle anzeigen.
- Welchen Ort soll ich angeben?
- Zum Beispiel Ihren Wohnort, wenn Sie einen Reisepass beantragen wollen oder den Unternehmensstandort, wenn Sie ein Gewerbe anmelden möchten.
- Realschulabschluss or other equivalent educational qualification and
- at least two years of training as an interpreter or translator in the language to be tested, or
- a completed course of study of at least six semesters in which the language to be examined was the main subject of study, or
- at least two years of full-time work as an interpreter or translator for the language to be tested
You must apply for admission to the examination to the competent body using the prescribed form.
- The competent body will check whether you meet the admission requirements for the examination. You will receive notification of this.
- If you are admitted to the exam, both the interpreter exam and the translator exam consist of a written and an oral part with different tasks. You will only be admitted to the oral examination if you have passed the written part. If you are admitted to a partial examination, the examination is limited to the respective examination tasks that have not yet been taken.
- You will be issued a certificate for passing the examination. If you do not pass the written examination, you will receive a notice of the results of the individual examination tasks.
- Copy of identity card or passport, if necessary certificate of registration
- Proof of a change of name, if applicable
- a handwritten, non-tabular curriculum vitae with a complete, chronological account of the educational history and details of relevant professional activity
- Copies of graduation and leaving certificates (with translation in case of foreign language certificates)
- Proof of relevant previous education and / or professional experience (in German or with German translation)
- Declaration of when, before which body, in which language, in which subject area and with which result, if any, you have already taken or been admitted to an interpreting or translating examination
- a passport photo (not older than one year, with name and date of birth on the back)
State Ministry of Education and Cultural Affairs, Saxon State Chancellery, Editorial Office Amt24. 03.07.2020