Re-register business

Trade re-registration according to § 14 or § 55c Trade, Commerce and Industry Regulation Act (GewO)

You must re-register your trade if you

  • move the registered office of your business within your municipality / city,
  • change the subject of the trade orexpand the subject matter of the trade (for example, if goods and services are added that were not provided for in the previous registration).
  • Cross-border provision of services

If you provide services on a self-employed basis from a branch in another EU / EEA member state temporarily in Germany, a notification / permit is not required in the following cases:

  • Auctioneer trade according to §§ 34b para. 1, 3, 4, 6 and 7 as well as 57 para. 3 GewO (Trade, Commerce and Industry Regulation Act)
  • Real estate agents, property developers, construction supervisors and residential property managers pursuant to § 34c para. 1 sentence 1 nos. 1, 3 and 4 GewO
  • Trades requiring supervision according to § 38 para. 1 and 2 GewO
  • Travel trade according to § 55 para. 2 and 3 GewO
  • Organization of a traveling camp according to § 56a GewO

Who must initiate the re-registration?

  • in the case of sole traders: the trader himself/herself
  • in the case of partnerships (e.g. OHG, BGB-Gesellschaft): the managing partners
  • in the case of corporations (e.g. GmbH, AG): the legal representative.

Note: If you move your business to another municipality or city, a re-registration is not sufficient. In this case, you must deregister your business in the previous municipality/city and re-register it in the new municipality/city.

Single Point of Contact

For this procedure, you can use the service of the Single Point of Contact (Einheitlicher Ansprechpartner). They will guide you through the administrative procedure, take care of correspondence with all the offices responsible for your request and will be available to you as a competent advisor.

Onlineantrag und Formulare

Hinweis: Sobald Sie eine Postleitzahl oder einen Ort angegeben haben, können wir Ihnen an dieser Stelle den Onlineantrag und die Formulare der zuständigen Stelle anzeigen. Ort angeben

Zuständige Stelle

Gewerbebehörde der Gemeinde- oder Stadtverwaltung

Hinweis: Sobald Sie eine Postleitzahl oder einen Ort angegeben haben, können wir Ihnen an dieser Stelle weitere Informationen zu der für Sie zuständigen Stelle anzeigen. Ort angeben
Warum soll ich einen Ort angeben?
Mit Hilfe der Ortsangabe können wir die für Sie passenden Informationen, Formulare, Dienste und Ihre zuständige Stelle anzeigen.
Welchen Ort soll ich angeben?
Zum Beispiel Ihren Wohnort, wenn Sie einen Reisepass beantragen wollen oder den Unternehmensstandort, wenn Sie ein Gewerbe anmelden möchten.

Service details


You can re-register your trade in person, in writing or electronically.

You can obtain the mandatory "Trade re-registration" form (GewA 2) from the relevant office. Depending on what the authority offers, you can also access the form via Amt24 (see -> Online application and forms).

Personal re-registration

  • Fill out the form and present yourself with the required documents at the competent office.
  • If all the documents are complete and you pay the fees due right away, you will immediately receive a receipt.

Note: You can also fill out the form on the spot. If you have any questions, the responsible staff will be at your disposal.

Written re-registration

  • Fill out the form, sign it and send it with the required documents to the responsible office.
  • If all documents are complete, you will receive the receipt and the fee notice by mail, usually within three days.
  • If applicable, you will receive the fee notice first and will need to provide proof of payment before the receipt is issued to you.

Electronic re-registration

  • If the "Business re-registration" form (GewA 2) is sent electronically, the signature field provided in box 30 is omitted.
  • The competent authority requests the necessary documents and may use procedures to establish the identity of the person making the notification, such as PIN/TAN procedures, electronic proof of identity in accordance with Section 18 of the Personal ID Card Act, De-Mail in accordance with Section 5 of the De-Mail Act, written assurance of identity or sending a copy of the personal ID card or passport.

Forwarding to other authorities

The competent authority may forward data from your re-registration to the following authorities:

  • Authorities of the customs administration
  • Federal Employment Agency
  • German statutory accident insurance
  • Tax office
  • Registry court
  • State authority for technical and social occupational health and safety
  • State Statistical Office
  • Employer's Liability Insurance Association
  • Chamber of Crafts (HWK)
  • Chamber of Industry and Commerce (IHK)
  • Immigration office
  • Food and veterinary office
  • Saxon state enterprise for measurement and calibration
  • Environmental Agency

Required documents

As a rule, the following documents are required:

  • from the applicant or the person authorized to re-register: copy of current ID card or passport with current registration certificate
  • if the re-registration is made by a managing partner or a legal representative: written power of attorney
  • if your company is registered in the commercial register (register of cooperatives, register of associations): copy of the excerpt from the commercial register (excerpt from the register of cooperatives, excerpt from the register of associations)

Note: In some cases, further documents or evidence may be required for the re-registration - information on this can be obtained from the relevant office.


Business re-registration: immediately at the time of business relocation or change of business activity.


General fee from EUR 10,00 - EUR 65,00

Legal basis

Release note

Saxon State Ministry of Economy, Labor and Transport. 11.12.2017