Show catering industry

Notification of a restaurant operation in accordance with § 2 of the Saxon Restaurant Act (SächsGastG)

If you wish to operate a standing catering business, you must notify the competent authority no later than four weeks prior to the start of operation in accordance with Section 2 (1) of the Saxon Catering Act (SächsGastG).

The notification must state whether you intend to offer alcoholic beverages, prepared food or both.

You operate a catering trade if you commercially offer

  • serve beverages for consumption on the premises and / or
  • you serve prepared food for consumption on the premises and
  • the business is accessible to all or certain groups of people.

Associations and societies that do not operate a catering business on a commercial basis must informally report the serving of alcoholic beverages, stating the address and name of the association or society.

If, in the case of legal entities or associations not having legal capacity, a person other than the one specified in the notification is appointed to represent them, this must be notified to the municipality without delay.

Note: With the announcement of the restaurant enterprise after § 2 Abs.1 SächsGastG you fulfill at the same time the announcement obligation after § 14 trade order (trade registration or re-registration).The serving of self-produced wine or cider must also be reported to the competent authority for a maximum period of four months per year as the operation of a so-called "Straußwirtschaft" (Section 3 Paragraph 1 Sentence 1 SächsGastG).

If you, as a trader, temporarily provide services in Germany on a self-employed basis from an establishment in another EU member state or another contracting state of the European Economic Area, you do not require notification, permission, approval or similar.

Temporary catering business

If you wish to operate a catering business temporarily for a special reason, you must notify the competent authority in good time, but at least two weeks before the start of operation, stating your name, first name, address and the place and time of the start of operation. You must also state the special reason.

Single Point of Contact

For this procedure, you can use the service of the Single Point of Contact (Einheitlicher Ansprechpartner). They will guide you through the administrative procedure, take care of correspondence with all the offices responsible for your request and will be available to you as a competent advisor.

Onlineantrag und Formulare

Hinweis: Sobald Sie eine Postleitzahl oder einen Ort angegeben haben, können wir Ihnen an dieser Stelle den Onlineantrag und die Formulare der zuständigen Stelle anzeigen. Ort angeben

Zuständige Stelle

Trade authority of the municipality or city administration


Hinweis: Sobald Sie eine Postleitzahl oder einen Ort angegeben haben, können wir Ihnen an dieser Stelle weitere Informationen zu der für Sie zuständigen Stelle anzeigen. Ort angeben
Warum soll ich einen Ort angeben?
Mit Hilfe der Ortsangabe können wir die für Sie passenden Informationen, Formulare, Dienste und Ihre zuständige Stelle anzeigen.
Welchen Ort soll ich angeben?
Zum Beispiel Ihren Wohnort, wenn Sie einen Reisepass beantragen wollen oder den Unternehmensstandort, wenn Sie ein Gewerbe anmelden möchten.

Service details


The notification of a commercial restaurant operation is made in connection with the business registration or re-registration. You can notify the business in person, in writing or electronically.

The required forms are available in Amt24 (Forms & Online Services). Preprinted forms are available from the relevant office.

  • As part of the notification procedure, the competent body will check your notification and the associated documents and inform other authorities of the start of your commercial activity, namely the competent authority for building supervision, food monitoring, immission control, health protection and youth protection.
  • In the case of temporary events, the competent tax authority and the competent authority of the customs administration will also be informed.
  • The competent authority will certify receipt of the notification.

Required documents

If you want to serve alcohol, the competent authority must check your reliability under trade law after receiving your notification. At the same time as the notification, you must therefore generally submit the following documents:

Note: This also applies to a comparable non-self-employed activity as a managing director of a legal entity or as a deputy of a natural person.

  • Proof of identity (identity card or passport)
  • for foreign nationals from non-EU countries: additional residence permit entitling the holder to self-employed work
  • Proof of the requested certificate of good conduct
  • Proof of the requested information from the central commercial register
  • Proof of the requested information from the register to be kept by the insolvency court or the information
  • Proof of the requested information from the register to be kept by the court of execution, or the information, respectively
  • Certificate in tax matters from the tax office
  • for legal entities (in addition):
    • Extract from the Commercial Register or the Register of Associations
    • Copy of the memorandum of association or the articles of association.

If the person making the notification is a legal entity (e.g. AG, GmbH, e. V.), the proofs of reliability must be submitted both for the legal entity (with the exception of the certificate of good conduct and the personal papers) and for the natural persons authorized to represent the entity (managing director, board members and chairpersons) when making the notification.


Confirmation of the advertisement: EUR 10,00 - EUR 65,00

Legal basis

Release note

Saxon State Ministry for Economy, Labor and Transport. 22.03.2017

Saxon State Ministry for Economy, Labor and Transport. 22.03.2017