Weekly market, applying for admission as a trader

There are usually permanent stands and daily stands at weekly markets. Find out about the local regulations for admission as a trader for the local weekly market at an early stage from the relevant municipal or city administration.

A weekly market is a regularly recurring, temporary event at which certain types of goods (especially fruit, vegetables, bread and baked goods, cheese, eggs, meat and sausages, flowers) are offered. In addition, it can be determined by legal ordinance that goods of daily use (among other things, pots, frying pans, broomsticks) may also be offered.

All details of weekly markets - from the place and time to the application for a stand and the market fees to the setting up and dismantling of the stalls - are laid down by the municipalities and cities in their bylaws.

There is no entitlement to admission as a day trader or to the allocation or retention of a particular sales location.

Single Point of Contact

For this procedure, you can use the service of the Single Point of Contact (Einheitlicher Ansprechpartner). They will guide you through the administrative procedure, take care of correspondence with all the offices responsible for your request and will be available to you as a competent advisor.

Onlineantrag und Formulare

Hinweis: Sobald Sie eine Postleitzahl oder einen Ort angegeben haben, können wir Ihnen an dieser Stelle den Onlineantrag und die Formulare der zuständigen Stelle anzeigen. Ort angeben

Zuständige Stelle

Trade authority of the municipality or city administration

Hinweis: Sobald Sie eine Postleitzahl oder einen Ort angegeben haben, können wir Ihnen an dieser Stelle weitere Informationen zu der für Sie zuständigen Stelle anzeigen. Ort angeben
Warum soll ich einen Ort angeben?
Mit Hilfe der Ortsangabe können wir die für Sie passenden Informationen, Formulare, Dienste und Ihre zuständige Stelle anzeigen.
Welchen Ort soll ich angeben?
Zum Beispiel Ihren Wohnort, wenn Sie einen Reisepass beantragen wollen oder den Unternehmensstandort, wenn Sie ein Gewerbe anmelden möchten.

Service details


  • If you run a business, you usually need a travel trade card to operate at weekly markets.
  • You do not need a travel trade card if you:
    • sell home-grown agricultural, forestry, vegetable, fruit and horticultural, poultry farming and beekeeping, hunting and fishing products at a market
    • come from another member state of the European Union or another state of the European Economic Area (EEA) and your place of business is not in Germany
  • The admission and allocation of places by the authority or by the market management is based on various criteria. Among other things, the diversity and quality of the market offer must be ensured - often the principle "producer before trader" applies. The order of applications is also taken into account.

Note: The competent authority may prohibit a trader from participating if facts justify the assumption that he or she does not possess the necessary reliability.


  • Ask about the application formalities directly at the responsible office.
  • Ask whether a written application is required and whether a form is available for this purpose.
  • Depending on what the authority offers, you can also access the form on the Internet ("Forms & online services")

Note: Even if you have already submitted the required documents to the authority, you and, if applicable, your employees should have these documents with you on market day in order to be able to identify yourself.

Required documents

The following documents and information are often requested:

  • Identity document Tax number (copy of official notification)
  • in the case of itinerant trade: itinerant trade card
  • VAT booklet or exemption from keeping VAT booklet
  • in the case of an established trade: certificate of registration of the trade (so-called trade license) Proof of (business) liability insurance, if applicable
  • for employees working at the market stall additionally
    • Identity document
    • if necessary a work permit according to the law on foreigners
  • in case of trade with foodstuffs: Certificate and instruction according to § 43 Infection Protection Law


as a rule: EUR 2.50 - EUR 15.00

The amount of the market fees is set by the municipalities and cities in the local fee statutes and varies depending on the municipality. In addition, costs may be incurred, for example, for the electricity supply to your stall. For more information, please contact the responsible office

Processing time

Application processing: usually within 3 months (maximum processing time varies depending on market statutes).


The authorization is linked to the person to whom it is granted. It is not transferable.

Legal basis

Release note

Saxon State Ministry of Economics, Labor and Transport. 06.11.2020