If you move into an apartment/house, you are required to register with the registration office of the city or municipality within two weeks. The apartment/house in which you primarily live is considered your primary residence. If you have another apartment/house, this is your secondary residence. This must also be registered. You are only required to register your secondary residence if you live in it for a period of more than six months and use it at least occasionally for sleeping and living. It should be noted that any change in the status of the apartment/house must be reported to the registration office.
- For persons up to the age of 16, please note that the apartment/house must be registered by the owner. If necessary, the consent of the person entitled to custody is required.
- Dormitories (e.g. student dormitories) and weekend houses are not exempt from this registration requirement and must therefore also be registered.
Secondary residence tax
As a rule, municipalities levy a tax on secondary residences, which must be paid by all adults.
Registration office of the municipal administration
- Warum soll ich einen Ort angeben?
- Mit Hilfe der Ortsangabe können wir die für Sie passenden Informationen, Formulare, Dienste und Ihre zuständige Stelle anzeigen.
- Welchen Ort soll ich angeben?
- Zum Beispiel Ihren Wohnort, wenn Sie einen Reisepass beantragen wollen oder den Unternehmensstandort, wenn Sie ein Gewerbe anmelden möchten.
- For registration, you must fill in and sign a registration form.
- You must hand this in personally or appoint another suitable person to hand it in.
- You can obtain a form online on Amt24 (if this service is offered by the responsible office) or in hardcopy from the municipal administration.
- Family members and parties of a civil partnership should use one joint form if they move from a joint dwelling to a new joint dwelling on the same day.
- Subsequently, you will receive a registration confirmation from the responsible office.
- If you have to pay secondary residence tax, you will receive a corresponding notice by mail.
Depending on the service of the municipality, it may be possible to dispense with filling in the registration form and to collect the data directly when you show up in person at the office. You must then confirm the accuracy of the data on a printout by signing it.
Attention! You cannot use this service if you are
- moving from abroad or
- use a pseudonym instead of your name in your electronic signature.
In these cases, you must register in person as described above.
- Identity card or passport
- Identity documents of the family members who are registered jointly on one registration form
- For children: Children's passport or birth certificate
- a confirmation from your housing provider that you have moved in
The registration office may require the submission of additional documents that serve as proof of the information (for example, birth certificate, marriage certificate, divorce decree).
Saxon State Ministry of the Interior. 24.03.2021