Issuing residence cards for the family members of EU citizens

Every EU citizen is entitled to free movement within the European Union. Under certain circumstances, the same also applies to their family members, regardless of whether or not these are EU citizens.

Free movement means the right to move freely within the European Union, enter and reside in any other member state, and be able to engage in gainful employment there under the same conditions as local citizens.

Note: The act on the general free movement of EU citizens (Free Movement Act / EU) governs the entry and residence of citizens of other European Union member states and their families.

Family members are:

  • The spouse, partner, or the descendants of EU citizens who are entitled to freedom of movement, or their spouses or partners who are under 21 years of age
  • Relatives (in ascending and descending order) of EU citizens entitled to free movement or their spouses, who are supported by these
Please note! If you are studying in Germany, only your spouse / partner and their children, who are granted support, can exercise the right of free movement.

Onlineantrag und Formulare

Hinweis: Sobald Sie eine Postleitzahl oder einen Ort angegeben haben, können wir Ihnen an dieser Stelle den Onlineantrag und die Formulare der zuständigen Stelle anzeigen. Ort angeben

Zuständige Stelle

Ausländerbehörde der Stadtverwaltung oder des Landratsamtes
(Bureau for Foreigners oft the municipality or district office)

Hinweis: Sobald Sie eine Postleitzahl oder einen Ort angegeben haben, können wir Ihnen an dieser Stelle weitere Informationen zu der für Sie zuständigen Stelle anzeigen. Ort angeben
Warum soll ich einen Ort angeben?
Mit Hilfe der Ortsangabe können wir die für Sie passenden Informationen, Formulare, Dienste und Ihre zuständige Stelle anzeigen.
Welchen Ort soll ich angeben?
Zum Beispiel Ihren Wohnort, wenn Sie einen Reisepass beantragen wollen oder den Unternehmensstandort, wenn Sie ein Gewerbe anmelden möchten.

Service details


If, as a family member, you are yourself an EU or EEA (Norway, Iceland and Liechtenstein) citizen, or a citizen of Switzerland, you are entitled to free movement under certain conditions.

Note: Certification as proof of your right to free movement as a family member is not required. This rule does not apply to family members of Swiss citizens, who receive a CH residence permit as proof of their residence eligibility, upon request.

If, as a family member, you are not an EU, EEA or Swiss citizen, but instead come from another country (third-party country), you are entitled to a derived right of residence.

Note: Family members entitled to free movement, and who are not EU citizens, may be issued with a residence card valid for five years.


Contact the competent centre in person or in writing if you wish to obtain a residence card. It will also provide you with the "Erhebungsbogen nach § 5 FreizügG / EU" (Data entry form according to § 5 of the Free Movement Act / EU), which can also be downloaded online at Amt24, depending on the services offered by the authority.

Required documents

  • ID or passport
  • Additionally for employees:
    • Employment contract or employment grant (or that of the spouse or partner)
  • Additionally for self-employed persons:
    • Trade licence or proof of self-employment (or the trade licence or proof of self-employment for the spouse or partner)
  • Civil status documents (e.g. marriage certificate, birth certificate)
  • Additionally for unemployed persons:
    • Proof of adequate health insurance and funding
  • Additionally for students:
    • Certificate of enrolment
  • Biometric photo


You should apply for the residence card within six months of settling in Germany. Otherwise you will receive a registration request from the competent centre.


Administration fees

  • EUR 28.80
  • for persons under the age of 24: EUR 22.80

Release note

Based on the German version authorized by Sächsisches Staatsministerium des Innern. 05.07.2018