All elementary school students receive an educational recommendation in the 4th grade. This educational recommendation will suggest a continuation of school attendance at a high school (Oberschule) or a grammar school (Gymnasium). It is also possible to transfer to a high school from a grammar school, a special needs school (Förderschule) or another high school.
Since the school year 2013/14 school year, schools of the secondary school type have been called Oberschule. However, the Oberschule is not a new type of school. Rather, it is to be understood as a further development of the secondary school, which combines the former Hauptschule and Realschule courses of education under one roof.
The name expresses the fact that the Oberschule focuses more strongly than before on individual support, performance orientation, permeability and connectivity.
Point of contact
The Oberschule (high school) of your choice
- Sächsische Schuldatenbank
Sächsisches Staatsministerium für Kultus
Keine zuständige Stelle vorhanden.
- Warum soll ich einen Ort angeben?
- Mit Hilfe der Ortsangabe können wir die für Sie passenden Informationen, Formulare, Dienste und Ihre zuständige Stelle anzeigen.
- Welchen Ort soll ich angeben?
- Zum Beispiel Ihren Wohnort, wenn Sie einen Reisepass beantragen wollen oder den Unternehmensstandort, wenn Sie ein Gewerbe anmelden möchten.
Transfer from elementary school to high school
- Educational recommendation for high school or grammar school
- Decision of the principal about the admission
Transfer from a special needs school to the high school
Transfer from a grammar school or another high school
- Decision of the principal about the admission
Parents register their children at the high school. The decision on admission is taken by the principal of the school to which the transfer is made.
- Prior to the registration date, high schools and elementary schools invite students to information events. At these events, information is provided about the different secondary school diplomas offered at the high school as well as further educational options. In addition, elective courses and extracurricular offerings of the high school are presented.
- Children who have received an educational recommendation for the high school, but who wish to take an aptitude test for the grammar school, have to be registered at the high school first. Please notify the school administration of the intention to take the aptitude test at the time of registration.
An informal application is usually sufficient. However, it is advisable to get in touch in advance with the school administration about the formalities of applying. You have to submit the following documents with your application for admission:
- The last half term report card from the school previously attended
- The educational recommendation
- A certified copy of the child’s birth certificate
The following data will be recorded at the time of registration:
- Surname and first name of the parents and the student
- Date and place of birth of the student
- Gender of the student
- Address of parents and student
- Telephone number, contact data in cases of emergency
- Nationality of the student (with the consent of the parents)
- Religious affiliation of the student (with the consent of the parents)
- Date of first enrollment and information about the student's school career to date (with parental consent)
- Partial performance deficiencies, type and degree of disability, and chronic illnesses determined by qualified teachers or school psychologists, insofar as they are relevant to school attendance (with parental consent).
- Issue of educational recommendation: February 5, 2021
- For the grammar school at the end of the school year: July 19, 2021
- Registration at the high school: until February 26, 2021
- Notification of admission to the high school/grammar school: 11.06.2021
If you are not sure which is the right type of school for your child or if you have questions about the educational focus of the high school/grammar school and about your child's further schooling, you can make use of school career counseling. The teachers or guidance counselors at the elementary school, high school and grammar school will be happy to assist you.
- § 5 Verordnung des Sächsischen Staatsministeriums für Kultus über Ober- und Abendoberschulen im Freistaat Sachsen (Schulordnung Ober- und Abendoberschulen, SOOSA) – Anmeldung
- § 6 SOOSA – Aufnahme von Schülern
- § 7 SOOSA – Bildungsberatung
- § 8 SOOSA – Schulwechsel an eine andere Oberschule
- § 6 und § 8 Verordnung des Sächsischen Staatsministeriums für Kultus über allgemeinbildende Gymnasien und die Abiturprüfung im Freistaat Sachsen (Schulordnung Gymnasien Abiturprüfung, SOGYA) – Aufnahmebedingungen/Ausnahmeregelungen
Saxon State Ministry of Education and Cultural Affairs. 23.07.2020